[SOLVED] Internet drops every night around the same time

Apr 3, 2020
For the last two weeks my internet has been consistently dropping down to 1 Mbps and then completely turning off . Every morning it seems to "magically" resolve itself. I have an unlimited data plan. When I called my ISP I was told there could be static in the cables inside/connected to our house but I'm not sure why that would make the internet drop every night. We won't be able to have a tech come out until April 6th. We always have to fight with our ISP to diagnose issues with our internet and I'm trying to see if there's more I can do or figure out on our side. We had the modem tested 2 months ago when our internet connection had issues and the modem was fine then (though I won't rule out something could be off with it).
Turning off all but 1 device doesn't help strengthen the connection either, and we've tried resetting the modem several times. When we do reset the modem, the internet just doesn't come back for the rest of the night.
Thanks for reading, sorry for rambling.

Solution
I assume this is a DSL connection ? Cable modem generally have logs that might give you a clue.

If you reboot the modem and it does not connect you either have a bad modem or there is something wrong with the cabling. You could try to see if anything look wrong with the cables. Make sure the cables are tight and do not appear to have any water or dirt in them. You could if possible hook the modem where the cable comes into the house just to test and see if the modem function correctly.

When it is broken at this level pretty much only the ISP can fix it. It not working at certain times of day is generally caused by other things but not being able to reboot a modem makes it hard to troubleshoot. Most times the time...

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
For the last two weeks my internet has been consistently dropping down to 1 Mbps and then completely turning off . Every morning it seems to "magically" resolve itself. I have an unlimited data plan. When I called my ISP I was told there could be static in the cables inside/connected to our house but I'm not sure why that would make the internet drop every night. We won't be able to have a tech come out until April 6th. We always have to fight with our ISP to diagnose issues with our internet and I'm trying to see if there's more I can do or figure out on our side. We had the modem tested 2 months ago when our internet connection had issues and the modem was fine then (though I won't rule out something could be off with it).
Turning off all but 1 device doesn't help strengthen the connection either, and we've tried resetting the modem several times. When we do reset the modem, the internet just doesn't come back for the rest of the night.
Thanks for reading, sorry for rambling.
Did you check in your modem or Access point settings. If there is any QOS configured which get activated at specific time. Because it seems to be more QOS issue which is limiting your bandwidth to 1 Mbps.

Or

May be your modem is taking backup of log file or check for update.

I mean there is something in your modem itself which is causing this congestion problem.

Please send over your modem/access point settings or logs.

You can also try to check the logs. Definitely you will bug the problem

I assume this is a DSL connection ? Cable modem generally have logs that might give you a clue.

If you reboot the modem and it does not connect you either have a bad modem or there is something wrong with the cabling. You could try to see if anything look wrong with the cables. Make sure the cables are tight and do not appear to have any water or dirt in them. You could if possible hook the modem where the cable comes into the house just to test and see if the modem function correctly.

When it is broken at this level pretty much only the ISP can fix it. It not working at certain times of day is generally caused by other things but not being able to reboot a modem makes it hard to troubleshoot. Most times the time of day stuff is resolved by reboot or it continues the same which generally means it is a ISP load issue.

Still search for any log messages maybe you get lucky.

If you own the modem you might consider buying one that you can return. That way if when the ISP guy comes and says its not the wires you can hook the new up while he is there to make sure it works.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Keep a log of exactly when this happens and for how long.
Maybe a pattern will emerge.

Years ago, I had pretty much the same issue with our local Cable internet.
Would go 'out' 2-3-4 times a week, for hours.
The next day when the tech showed up, all was good.
This went on for several months.

Long story short, it ended up being one of their upstream boxes dying due to temp and humidity.