Internet Explorer 8 Final, Ready for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No comparison with Safari?
Anyway, the reason many people not liking IE is not the loading speed, it's much more because of the security holes causing trouble the in the past.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Oddly enough IE8 loads Mozilla.com faster while Firefox loads microsoft.com faster. Overall load speed difference is insignificant in daily use. For me it's the usability that makes a difference.

Either way, I will load IE8 for development puroses but still keep Firefox as the browser to use. I am sure Windows 7 will give IE8 a boost, but many Firefox converts will just as quickly load FF onto any new system.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]bravura[/nom]No comparison with Safari?Anyway, the reason many people not liking IE is not the loading speed, it's much more because of the security holes causing trouble the in the past.[/citation]
The reason it has more security problems isn't necessarily because of security holes, it's because of it's marketshare.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]bravura[/nom]No comparison with Safari?Anyway, the reason many people not liking IE is not the loading speed, it's much more because of the security holes causing trouble the in the past.[/citation]
Don't forget the tight integration it has inside Windows in the fist place.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Ive had IE 8 Beta for quite a while now and it drives me a little nuts. For the most part I use IE for all my tasks. Adobe SGI seems to only work with IE and not at all with firefox. I have alot of Monowall WRAPS out and about that I need to monitor the traffic graphs on. IE is the only browser that displays them properly. Anyways... IE 8 drives me nuts. You must be familiar with the yellow pop up bar in IE imagine having to use that for every web page with flash, active x, or any kind of script. It also crashes a lot. I installed it on XP before SP3 was installed so i could not remove it with some effort which is why its still installed.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
security isn't my top concern, its my anit-virus' top concern. Speed is what I care about and after messing around the IE8 beta I can confidently say that speed is what IE8 lacks

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Is Ballmer taking pills or something? Granted, IE8 is better than IE7, but I've made dozens of tests using Acid3 and SunSpider. IE8 always come last. And the memory usage is unacceptable. Bill, where are you...?

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
It states in the article that Miller tested his stuff before hand, I'm guessing the other hackers did the same. The order they applied the hacks they knew about isn't all that important. It's just a question of tweaking it to get it to work in a slightly different environment. It's not like they show up and go "hmmm I wonder if this might work." These programs were probably exploited weeks ago.

The probably went in order of hardware they wanted, followed by prestige. Eveyone wants to see Safari hacked to spite mac users, followed by IE because eveyone wants to spit on MS.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
after reading about safari/osx 10 second hack, i wonder how long this new ie will take to be hacked... new release, new bugs and wholes to be found and exploited.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]ethaniel[/nom]Is Ballmer taking pills or something? Granted, IE8 is better than IE7, but I've made dozens of tests using Acid3 and SunSpider. IE8 always come last. And the memory usage is unacceptable. Bill, where are you...?[/citation]

looks like he's been drinking the coolaid. i've done some testing too and chrome's javascript is diffinitively much after than ie 8's and it's a bit sluggish, try opening a new tab and see how long it takes to create a new instance, wow! slow, mozilla takes less, why so slow, i guess all the security crap, that really doesn't work, see other posting on just how long it takes to hack browsers with tips found on google.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Microsoft will be hack again and again because they hold the biggest share in browser war. I don't think I'm going to jump in the bandwagon anytime soon but I'll downloaded to test out my design website. Firefox is still my main because they patch more often than IE so in my opinion it's safer to stay away from IE. The less market share a browser has the less likely it to be hacked.

LightWeightX

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I've been using IE 8 since the beta, they improved some things in the RC and I'm now using the released version. I like the new features.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]The reason it has more security problems isn't necessarily because of security holes, it's because of it's marketshare.[/citation]Not entirely true. IE is closed source while Firefox and Safari's WebCore engine are open source. In spite of the fact that any hacker can read the code for the latter two IE still has many more exploits.

I would like to see some Opera exploit statistics just for comparison.

armistitiu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Matt_B[/nom]Don't forget the tight integration it has inside Windows in the fist place.[/citation]
"tight" integration?
IE8 is not part of the kernel so it's a user space program and it uses windows API just like any other browser.
So the speedup did not come from this. I mean if the integration was so "tight" why did IE6 and IE7 was so slow (compared to Firefox)?
It's because of bad code...
Anyway i think IE8 will not increase MS marketshare because i don't see any Firefox user to switch to another browser...simply because you have no reason to do this.

armistitiu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Sorry for my confusing(and wrong) phrasing "why did IE6 and IE7 was so slow (compared to Firefox)?"...i meant : why did IE6 and 7 suck so much? :)

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Now does IE8 actually render web pages correctly? Or comply with the W3 standards? To me that's WAY more important than color coded tabs.

G

IE8 is actually more CSS2.1 compliant than any other browser now which is huge for me. It's fast and the wikipedia accelerator rocks !!!

Although I do disable the blue icon think it makes when you select text. (I prefer right-clicking).

Anyway goos job Microsoft. IE8 is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS