Internet Explorer Maintenance settings not applied

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

For some reason since a couple of weeks ago when my
clients login they are not getting the Internet Explorer
Maintenance settings applied. According to the GPMC the
settings are set correctly. When the client logs on they
get the default ie home page which redirects to
www.msn.com. Also the proxy settings are not applied.
If I restart the computer, the settings are applied as
they ought, even after logging out and logging in many
times. When I come back some time later, assuming others
have logged in since then, the settings are no longer
applied at the logon.

Stats:
Windows 2000 Server Sp4 domain controllers
Windows XP Sp1 clients with IE 6.0 SP1

What can I do to get more helpful information to you so
that I can get this resolved? Thank you.

Conflicting Policies? Internet Explorer Maintenance writes to the registry
and dose not reset back to default when the user logoff.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

<jason@bryan.edu> skrev i meddelandet
> For some reason since a couple of weeks ago when my
> clients login they are not getting the Internet Explorer
> Maintenance settings applied. According to the GPMC the
> settings are set correctly. When the client logs on they
> get the default ie home page which redirects to
> www.msn.com. Also the proxy settings are not applied.
> If I restart the computer, the settings are applied as
> they ought, even after logging out and logging in many
> times. When I come back some time later, assuming others
> have logged in since then, the settings are no longer
> applied at the logon.
>
> Stats:
> Windows 2000 Server Sp4 domain controllers
> Windows XP Sp1 clients with IE 6.0 SP1
>
> What can I do to get more helpful information to you so
> that I can get this resolved? Thank you.

Using the GPMC I verified that there are no conflicting
GPO's.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I believe this all started happening when I first edited
the group policy from a Windows XP SP2 computer. I know
this shouldn't affect it, but maybe there is a bug or
change in the way that the GPO for SP2 stores and sets
the Internet Explorer Maintenance settings. The clients
are SP1, but I edited with an XP Sp2 computer.

Hi Jason,

By default, Windows XP has enabled Fast Logon service, therefore, the
client will not contact DC when the first restart and the Group Policy will
be applied when the second restart. You need to modify the local policy as
described in the KB below:

305293 Description of the Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305293

Any question, let us get in touch!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I checked my GPO and the Fast Logon service is disabled
already as it talks about in the supplied KB article.
Besides if the Internet Explorer maintenance settings are
not applied at the first logon, when I logoff and logon
again they still don't apply. It only works for the
first couple of times after a restart.

your newsreader so
>that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

confers no rights.

>.

I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy.

"jason" wrote:

> I believe this all started happening when I first edited
> the group policy from a Windows XP SP2 computer. I know
> this shouldn't affect it, but maybe there is a bug or
> change in the way that the GPO for SP2 stores and sets
> the Internet Explorer Maintenance settings. The clients
> are SP1, but I edited with an XP Sp2 computer.

Hi Jason,

I have a couple of questions regarding this issue.

What kind of GPO policy you have checked? Please check Local policy on
Windows XP, site policy, domain policy and OU policy to make sure Fast
Logon service has been disabled. You can issue "rsop.msc" on the
problematic machine after first start (should not be applied the policy),
to check if the policy has been applied. Please take a screen shot of the
policy result and send it v-rebc@microsoft.com for research.

If the issue persists, please use the following steps to isolate this issue:

1. What is the exact policy you have applied to the client? Please create a
new OU and add the account, only apply this policy to the machine. What is
the result?
2. If you change a policy to apply, for example, if you only apply User
Configuration\Administrative Template\Desktop\Active Desktop\Disable all
items. Can this policy be applied?

Meanwhile, please gather the following info for research:
1. Empty the application Event log, reproduce this issue and save the log.
2. Refer to KB 221833 to enable userenv.log.
3. reproduce this issue and gather the userenv.log, named it bad.log.
4. Run after some time and restart, the policy should be applied this time.
Rename the userenv.log to good.log
5. Send the all info to v-rebc@microsoft.com for research.
How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;221833

Further questions, let us get in touch!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Thank you Rebecca for your more detailed help. I have emailed you the things
you requested. Please let me know of any further steps that I could take.

"Rebecca Chen [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding this issue.
>
> What kind of GPO policy you have checked? Please check Local policy on
> Windows XP, site policy, domain policy and OU policy to make sure Fast
> Logon service has been disabled. You can issue "rsop.msc" on the
> problematic machine after first start (should not be applied the policy),
> to check if the policy has been applied. Please take a screen shot of the
> policy result and send it v-rebc@microsoft.com for research.
>
> If the issue persists, please use the following steps to isolate this issue:
>
> 1. What is the exact policy you have applied to the client? Please create a
> new OU and add the account, only apply this policy to the machine. What is
> the result?
> 2. If you change a policy to apply, for example, if you only apply User
> Configuration\Administrative Template\Desktop\Active Desktop\Disable all
> items. Can this policy be applied?
>
> Meanwhile, please gather the following info for research:
> 1. Empty the application Event log, reproduce this issue and save the log.
> 2. Refer to KB 221833 to enable userenv.log.
> 3. reproduce this issue and gather the userenv.log, named it bad.log.
> 4. Run after some time and restart, the policy should be applied this time.
> Rename the userenv.log to good.log
> 5. Send the all info to v-rebc@microsoft.com for research.
> How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;221833
>

> Further questions, let us get in touch!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rebecca Chen
>
> MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
>

> Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information!

However, I have found the event log. Could you please entirely empty the
system and application log, reproduce this issue and send me the log file?

I have found many errors in the bad.log you send me. Do you use roaming
profile->mandatory user profile? It seems many policy cannot been applied.
I suggest you use the following steps to isolate this issue:

1. Use the local user profile to logon to the domain and test this issue.
If the issue does not occur, we can say this issue is related the user
profile.
2. Disable webclient service on XP client and test this issue.
3. Check the permission and grant the logon user full control to the
profile directory and the subdirectory.

If the issue persists, please send me the log file for research.

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

I too am experiencing this issue. DCs are W2K SP4, Clients are XP SP1, admin
workstation is XP SP2, edit on the SP2 PC and proxy stops working. The GPO
is not in conflict, and it is getting most of the settings applied. Even IE
Maintenance settings are getting applied; for example I add a couple of
Favorites and change the default homepage without a problem. However Proxy
settings, despite RoSP saying they are working and precedence is correct, are
not working at all. This is especially annoying because we just bought a new
T1 line - and are already paying for it - but cannot get the local subnet to
change to the new proxy server to take advantage of it.

I have a feeling someone at MS made a typo or something in the ADM, or
possibly SP2 changed the reg entry where proxy info is kept. This issue
seems like one of the 'subset instead of superset' of policies I read about
in KB816662 - where MS says if a setting is left out it cannot be seen or
changed using the ADM that leaves it out. I am not saying this is done on
purpose at all, but everyone makes mistakes.

"Zotts" wrote:

> I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy.
>
> "jason" wrote:
>
> > I believe this all started happening when I first edited
> > the group policy from a Windows XP SP2 computer. I know
> > this shouldn't affect it, but maybe there is a bug or
> > change in the way that the GPO for SP2 stores and sets
> > the Internet Explorer Maintenance settings. The clients
> > are SP1, but I edited with an XP Sp2 computer.

I am having a similar problem as well. We have recently installed a new
proxy and i have set the proxy details in the policy. Most machines seem to
be picking it up OK but some machines keep changing backing to the old
settings. this doesnt just happen when the user logs off and on again but
when the user is logged on and the screen saver comes on. its driving me
crazy and all the users as they have to reset the proxy address all the time.
the clients are a mix of W2K sp4 and XP sp1 and 2.
any ideas would be great cos im getting serious stress from people now

"Krystanimyth" wrote:

> I too am experiencing this issue. DCs are W2K SP4, Clients are XP SP1, admin
> workstation is XP SP2, edit on the SP2 PC and proxy stops working. The GPO
> is not in conflict, and it is getting most of the settings applied. Even IE
> Maintenance settings are getting applied; for example I add a couple of
> Favorites and change the default homepage without a problem. However Proxy
> settings, despite RoSP saying they are working and precedence is correct, are
> not working at all. This is especially annoying because we just bought a new
> T1 line - and are already paying for it - but cannot get the local subnet to
> change to the new proxy server to take advantage of it.
>
> I have a feeling someone at MS made a typo or something in the ADM, or
> possibly SP2 changed the reg entry where proxy info is kept. This issue
> seems like one of the 'subset instead of superset' of policies I read about
> in KB816662 - where MS says if a setting is left out it cannot be seen or
> changed using the ADM that leaves it out. I am not saying this is done on
> purpose at all, but everyone makes mistakes.
>
> "Zotts" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy.
> >
> > "jason" wrote:
> >
> > > I believe this all started happening when I first edited
> > > the group policy from a Windows XP SP2 computer. I know
> > > this shouldn't affect it, but maybe there is a bug or
> > > change in the way that the GPO for SP2 stores and sets
> > > the Internet Explorer Maintenance settings. The clients
> > > are SP1, but I edited with an XP Sp2 computer.

Well at least I know I'm not crazy. It's good to be validated every
now and then, even if the problem isn't fixed. Oh well maybe some
hotfix will take care of it someday.