Internet Gateway vs. Wireless Network Connection

Do I need to enable a Internet Gateway. What is the funcion of this.
Or should I delete and just have Wirless Internection Connection in my
Network Connection Tab?

--
dwood1966

dwood1966 wrote:

> Do I need to enable a Internet Gateway. What is the funcion of this.
> Or should I delete and just have Wirless Internection Connection in my
> Network Connection Tab?

The gateway is an importent part of the TCP/IP routing.
The routing tells your data how to reach it's target.

When you are working in a small local network you don't need any routing.
The other computers are simply reached when you send anything into the
network.
When you are working on the internet your computer need to know where to
send the data to. There must be a computer or router who has the connection
to the internet. This is the default gateway.

In some cases the gateway is set automaticly. On dialup connection the
computer receives the gateway after login and when DHCP is enabled all
computers can obtain IP, gateway and DNS servers from the DHCP server.
Most routers have such a DHCP server inside.

Thomas