Question Internet in-depth search codes

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
[I might be posting this the wrong section of the forum. I might be even posting on a wrong forum. Sorry for that]

Hi

There used to be time [up to something like 3-4 years ago] when I could just put in Google an incantation like

Code:
intitle:"index.of" (alac|ape|ogg|flac|mp2|mp3|mp4|mp+|mpc|mpp|tta|wav|wma|wv) Love.Me -asp -cf -htm -html -jsp -php -mid -mod -nfo -sap -txt -xm -xmi

and it would spit records for some hard to find places that would have file "Love Me" in one of the many audio formats that are usable to be - plus surely disregards many others common file formats irrelevant in the context of what I was looking for [a song]. But that had stopped working. An so I tried finding a newer Google spell but a charm code like

Code:
filetype:mp3 OR filetype:wma Love.Me

also do not seem to work at all

So does anyone know how to bewitch Google [or DuckDuckGo or any other Internet search engine] in these days?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If I am understanding the nature of your post...the reason music files won't just come up like that any more is due to the RIAA and anti piracy. Google has changed the way it operates so it's hard to find files/torrents such as was readily available years ago. You should have a bar come up on the right side of your search result that shows where it's available to purchase or by subscription.

Apologies if this is not the scope of your question/request.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
[...]
due to the RIAA and anti piracy. Google has changed the way it operates
[...]
For me it is the other way around: I have no problems with winding finding torrents. And I would expect to be it the opposite: having problems finding torrent files and not particular files with particular extensions

I doubt that Google / Alphabet has something like "UFO Geoscape" [ripped from a DOS game] , "Mixer" [a mix track done in 2001 by semi-professional DJ and put at that time on his personal website wich is non existing today] or "Idol" [a track done by a well know artist in my country but released for free but only only on a site of a popular newspaper over 15 years ago] on their anti-piracy list. As this is the kind of music that you simply cannot buy. And yet I was able to find it in various often weird places

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Gotcha...yeah if these items fall into unsupported software, that changes the whole game. The crux of your issue isn't that it's being filtered, it's that no one has it, anywhere...

I am not well versed on the whole thing about the old games, but know that the 'letter of law' is that if it's and old game that support is dropped from that people can then utilize aspects of it as free use. The key then is finding (such as) the whole game.
Perhaps someone here might be aware of a repository for old things such as this?

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
This is not about abondonware. And laws are different in different countries. [And no law is gonna stop me from doing whatever I like with whatever I already bought]

This is about that Google has change something and old tricks do not work. So I need new ones

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
This is not about abondonware. And laws are different in different countries. [And no law is gonna stop me from doing whatever I like with whatever I already bought]

This is about that Google has change something and old tricks do not work. So I need new ones

This type stuff is totally not what this forum is about. You should certainly be more careful about boasting about it, as well.

Wolfshadw

Titan

What you do on the Internet is your business. However, what you decide to discuss here on Tom's Hardware is our business. Tom's Hardware does have a strict, no piracy rule in place. We don't allow for those types of discussions. From what I've read in this thread, the "Piracy" line as not been crossed yet, so you're good, but please keep it in mind when posting here.

Thanks!
Wolfshadw

Reactions: Ralston18

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I do not consider an act of piracy trying to find another rip version of score from MS-DOS game, which rip has to be actuaaly made by someone who has a proper dated hardware - when I have a legal copy of that game but lack such specific ancient hardware and coding skills to extract the music [and not just record-what-I-hear now on a modern sound card - which makes that music sound totally not how it was intended to be by its creators]

Last edited:
When google modifies search results for political reasons why would you be surprised that they find ways to not display search results for things that are even marginally shady. Everyone already knows you can pay..ie advertise...to get google to place your site higher in search results. You must always consider google search results are biased in one way or another and there really is nothing you can do. I know of political site they were caught hiding and they would only display if you keyed in the full site name.