Internet is fine on every computer except mine

pacotacobell

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pacotacoshell/saved/M4Wbt6
Modem: Comtrend NexusLink 3112u

So my ISP changed our modem to this one about a year or so ago, and ever since then, the internet on my desktop has been very inconsistent. I don't want to pin the blame on the modem because it might end up being something else, but that's what my guess is right now.

Every computer in my house is getting around 25-30 Mbps download speeds, while mine is either below 1 Mpbs, or 9-13 Mpbs on a good day, which is still half of what I should be getting. I use both an Ethernet cable connection and Wi-fi in hopes that one might have normal speeds, but they're both slow. Somehow, the Ethernet cable speeds are slower than the Wi-Fi (only marginally though). The Ethernet cable is connected to the GB ETH slot in the back of the modem, which is also the only available slot to connect the Ethernet cable to.

pacotacobell

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

I'll try this now and see how it goes.

Edit: 4 minutes in....660 tracking cookies so far.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

So what's the story?? Did it work?

pacotacobell

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Oops, accidentally selected that as the best answer. Is there a way to fix that?

Nope it didn't work.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Assuming there isn't a problem with your drivers... the only thing I could think of is there are either too many other devices using the internet at the same time... or you need to turn off your wireless router and cable modem once a week for a few seconds.

Another thing that just hit me... it could be your router settings like a speed cap/limit or something?

pacotacobell

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

It's not the number of devices. At most, there are 4 devices going at the same time and the internet speed is the same regardless of whether it's 1 or 4. I used to reset my modem at least once every day when I thought it would fix the internet. It didn't.

I don't have a router. I think my modem is also a router, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Besides, would it be able to cap just one device?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
If it's just your computer... then that means the problem may very well be just your computer. Have you thought about reinstalling your ethernet drivers.. or is your computer connected wirelessly?

If you're running Win7... have you ever thought about upgrading to Win10? If not, do you think it's time to simply reinstall Windows 7? I usually do a reinstall every six months.

pacotacobell

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

I use both ethernet and wi-fi. I tried uninstalling both in the Device Manager and reinstalled but it didn't help.

I have thought about it, but I've heard it's still unstable. I do plan on reinstalling 7 but I have to buy a ps2 mouse first since my mobo has no USB 2.0 ports so I wanted to see if I could fix it instead.