Internet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

nickey22

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Recently my internet has started to disconnect randomly and then reconnect after a few seconds.
This has made online browsing and gaming very frustrating as i cannot keep a smooth connection going for more than 5 minutes.
at first i thought it was malware so i did a full system reinstall but that did not fix it..
i then thought it might be my wireless adapter so i borrowed a different one and tried it but it still did not work.
everyone else in my house has fine internet connection through wireless and wired .
im stumped as to what this problem can be. any guesses?

Solution
What happens when your WIRED connection?
How many other 'devices' (cell phones, tablets, Xboxs, kindles, laptop, etc.) connect?
What is the Router your using?
How many feet and how many 'solid things' does it need to go through?
Have you checked your QoS table to ensure gaming is top over say email?
etc. etc. etc.

There is ALOT of technical things this can be, the simpliest would be to be next to the router, wired into it and test, does it work different?
What happens when you unplug and switch to wireless? Are you using the same 802.11 as the router (i.e. if your using 802.11b and it is 802.11n it may be dropping the slowest connection for the sake of the other devices)? Maybe there are too many devices for the routeR? Does you...
What happens when your WIRED connection?
How many other 'devices' (cell phones, tablets, Xboxs, kindles, laptop, etc.) connect?
What is the Router your using?
How many feet and how many 'solid things' does it need to go through?
Have you checked your QoS table to ensure gaming is top over say email?
etc. etc. etc.

There is ALOT of technical things this can be, the simpliest would be to be next to the router, wired into it and test, does it work different?
What happens when you unplug and switch to wireless? Are you using the same 802.11 as the router (i.e. if your using 802.11b and it is 802.11n it may be dropping the slowest connection for the sake of the other devices)? Maybe there are too many devices for the routeR? Does you see alot of other networks nearby, could be interference a simple Channel change would resolve? Etc. etc. etc.

start basic old school wired in them move on from there to see 'when things don't work' then you can isolate the causes.

Solution