Internet only works for browsers, not in games/programs.

AnonymousDinosaur

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
So recently I've ran into a problem where my internet will seem to stop working in applications like steam, teamspeak, filezilla, LoL. It works perfectly fine in browsers. It doesn't disconnect me from that program, but instead I cant really do anything. For example I can que up for a game of lol, but I will never make it to the loading screen. It will just say "Check your internet." Then if I tried to relog into LoL I cant even make it past the login screen. Like if I were to log out of steam, I wouldn't be able to log back in, or if I closed teamspeak I wouldn't be able to connect back. I have never actually gotten kicked out of the a game/program, but if I were to disconnect I would not be able to log back in. Google chrome works fine, can browse the web, download things.. etc. The only fix seems to be resetting my router and it will work fine for a good couple hours before I run into the problem once again. I'm the only one in my house with this problem. Oh and I noticed that this started happening around the time I played with Avast's Secureline VPN, but I have since uninstalled that program. ( a few days ago)

Specs:
Mobo: Asrock H97M Pro4
Driver: Built in Intel Gigabit Ethernet: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

Things I have done:
Reinstalled drivers
Flush DNS
Disable Firewall
Disable anti-virus
re enable firewall
Upgrade router firmware
..... What do I do?? This problem happened to me a year back aswell on the same rig, but I guess it kinda just went away.

Solution
lol I would attempt all the cheaper routes first before going with a pricey router. if the QOS doesnt work run a game with your modem only and if that fixes the issue you know your answer, but if i were You I would do all the cheaper things first but thats because im a poor college kid. You can get a pci based either-net card for under 30$ and cables are insanely cheap. Look for a cat6-7 cable to suit your needs. Youll be surprised how much that will make a difference if you have old dusty cables!

imperialxgx

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
This sounds as if it could be an ISP or router issue. do some ping and tracert checks to 8.8.8.8 and see if you have any latency issues.
Other solutions:
Swap Ethernet cables maybe there is a flaw in the cable you are using
Make sure you have QOS enabled on your Router.
Your Ethernet port may be going bad so if you get a pci slot Ethernet port that may fix the issue as well.

Who is your ISP and what speeds have they offered you?

AnonymousDinosaur

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

Latency Seems fine, I have PenTeleData as an ISP. How do I enable QOS on the router?

Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5289597057

imperialxgx

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

that depends, what kind of router do you have?

AnonymousDinosaur

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

NETGEAR WNDR3400v2 N600

imperialxgx

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
login to your router by going into your browser and typing your gateway ip. If you havent changed it is 192.168.1.1 for the default. Log in to your credentials if you havent changed its usually admin/password once into the webinterface go into the advanced tab go into setup and then QOS setup chcek enable WMM and make sure bandwidth control in unchecked apply your changes and logout.

id like to add that your router is older and does not support some of the new speeds that are available. the N reperesnts the standards for that router. AC is the latest standard and will improve your speeds. To check if thats the issue, plug yourself right into the modem and see if the router is causing the speed backup.

AnonymousDinosaur

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

Alright WMM is enabled. I'm guessing Upstream QoS should be enabled too? What should I put the value to?
2loNyfq.jpg

imperialxgx

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

we are all new at somepoint so no worries! So, tes enable that, and then set the capacity to your speed test results which would either be 59Mbs or 7.5MBs this way you can game and use all the resources the game needs to run smoothly. Honestly, it wont use more resources than you have so anything above what wont matter.

AnonymousDinosaur

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I set it to 59mbps, hopefully that should fix it. If not I will plug it directly into the modem and see if it doesn't happen anymore if so, that means I need a new router correct?

imperialxgx

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
lol I would attempt all the cheaper routes first before going with a pricey router. if the QOS doesnt work run a game with your modem only and if that fixes the issue you know your answer, but if i were You I would do all the cheaper things first but thats because im a poor college kid. You can get a pci based either-net card for under 30$ and cables are insanely cheap. Look for a cat6-7 cable to suit your needs. Youll be surprised how much that will make a difference if you have old dusty cables!

Solution

AnonymousDinosaur

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

Alright, thanks a bunch!