Internet provider has no solution for my problem...

LiberatedPudding

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I recently upgraded from 40mbps to 120mps but since i upgraded about a month ago its been capped at 72 exactly and has never gone higher. I've been talking to my internet providers support line for the past 4 days and they have no idea what it could be and have basically given up saying they dont know why i'm not getting the speeds that i should be. any of you guys got any ideas??
Computer specs
windows 10 home 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
8g corsair ram
ASRock AB350 pro4
GTX 1060
500gb kingston SSD
modem - technicolor TC4300E
Wired and wireless speeds of 72mbps low ping

Solution
I don't have much personal experience with ISPs because I've always gotten the service I've paid for (which is downright amazing!!!!). The experience of other people who have had problems with their providers is that the only solution is to keep trying to go higher in the organization to get help. Comcast appears to be the worst of the worst, so I hope they aren't your ISP.

If other ISPs in your neighborhood provide the speed you're looking for, then it might just be easier to change providers.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
You're probably getting the speeds you paid for because it is usually advertised as "up to..." It could be that the company is purposefully throttling you, but it is more likely that the infrastructure to your house won't support anything higher.

LiberatedPudding

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

But there saying they don't know why it is, the speeds are definitely available in my area as they are posted on there website and all other company's offer at least up to 200mbs some even 1gbs on the same infrastructure and the download speed i'm getting now isn't even a option on there website.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
I don't have much personal experience with ISPs because I've always gotten the service I've paid for (which is downright amazing!!!!). The experience of other people who have had problems with their providers is that the only solution is to keep trying to go higher in the organization to get help. Comcast appears to be the worst of the worst, so I hope they aren't your ISP.

If other ISPs in your neighborhood provide the speed you're looking for, then it might just be easier to change providers.

Solution

LiberatedPudding

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

alright thanks man, just gonna keep bitching at them for now.

The "up to speed" gives them free license to straight up lie to you. As long as one of their nodes in your town was able to get X speed they can advertise that speed to the whole town even if no actual customer can achieve it.

I have a great example of an ISP advertising their service on a billboard right at the entrance to my neighborhood. Except here's the thing their service actually ends right on the border of my neighborhood. They had that sign up for an entire year. So advertisement does not equal reality.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, really, the responsibility is on the ISP to provide it. Otherwise, they're charging you for service that they're failing to provide.

Unless, say, you're doing wifi and the speeds you have are capped at some lesser speed there... or, say, you're on a PC that somehow still is using a 100Mbps ethernet port.

Also . . just on a whim, try changing the ethernet cables. I had an issue once where ONE of the PCs on my LAN would only transmit/receive at 100Mbps, whereas the rest would run at 1Gbps.

Turns out that putting in a new Cat5e cable fixed it.