Internet Randomly Slows Down - How do I favour my computer via QoS settings on my Netgear router (Mainly for gaming)

LucidityyMC

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Well my internet while i'm in a game of csgo (or just browsing the internet) will go from about 100 ping and slowly spike upwards i.e 100 - 250, 100 - 400 then eventually 100 - 999+ = unplayable. Im wondering if there is something i can do to fix this or possibly favour my gaming on the QoS settings and see if this helps? i just need to know how to do it on a netgear router :)

LucidityyMC

Solution
It all depends what is causing your issue.

Of course you need to run on wired connections wireless causes random issues like this from many things you can not control.

QoS mostly will help if you have other devices in your house using too much bandwidth when you are running your game. You can do nothing if it is some form of overload in the ISP network. Generally the best solution is to talk to the other people and ask them to limit their usage....you are just doing that with software if you do QoS and software is stupid.

QoS in general is a waste of time because you can only truly fix a small group of problems most other are out of your control.

The QoS varies a lot between routers so you are going to have to read the manual...
It all depends what is causing your issue.

Of course you need to run on wired connections wireless causes random issues like this from many things you can not control.

QoS mostly will help if you have other devices in your house using too much bandwidth when you are running your game. You can do nothing if it is some form of overload in the ISP network. Generally the best solution is to talk to the other people and ask them to limit their usage....you are just doing that with software if you do QoS and software is stupid.

QoS in general is a waste of time because you can only truly fix a small group of problems most other are out of your control.

The QoS varies a lot between routers so you are going to have to read the manual. What you do is place your IP address in some group and then give that group better service. Some router have stupid high,medium and low....and they do not really tell what those are. But you would place your machines group in high and all others in low. Other routers you can actually put in bandwidths and reserve so much for the game this tends to work better.

The huge BUT is you can only control data being send ...ie upload...from your router. If you are over utilizing you upload rates it will make some difference. Small DSL circuits tend to be the ones that benefit the most since they have very low upload rates.

The more common problem of exceeding the download rates you can not really fix. The ISP has already decided to slow down or discard data before your router can do anything. Although there are some advanced tricks you can try on some routers (not netgear on factory firmware) to manipulate this it only partially works and only on certain types of data.

But I suspect you will spend lots of time and accomplish nothing, you best bet is to discuss this issue with other users in the house.

Solution

LucidityyMC

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I was reading another forum and I read that I should disconnect every other device and just test my ping using ping -t www.google.com or something like that and just filter through devices. Its quite weird though. My isp says the line and internet have no problem and the internet just bombs whenever it likes. I was also told via another forum that it could include packet loss and just slowing down the whole network, which is why i suggested QoS. I really don't know what do do.. :/

Edit: also, in regards to the wired or wireless connection. My setup is far from my router and I cannot reach the internet. Is there a possible way of solving this via a technician or.. ?

LucidityyMC

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I tried hooking it up via ethernet cable. I see a slight improvement in the speed however this is only when it doesn't lagg. It still randomly laggs when no one is on. ISP said nothing was wrong.. tried 'ping -t www.google.com' on cmd. Got 2000+ ping. Any other ideas?

ISP will always say nothing is wrong.

Run a tracert to some site. Then open multiple cmd windows and run continuous ping to the first couple hops. The first one is your router and you should see low values all the time or you have a issue with the router. The second hop normally is the first ISP router. This represent the connection between your house and the ISP. If you see issues here you need to check the wires in your house first but then call the ISP and complain again. It could be wire issues outside your house. There is a rare chance it is the modem...but that depends what type of internet service you have.

Anything past the first 2 hops is a issue in the ISP network and only they can fix it. Problem is finding a tech that understands what traceroute and ping actually mean rather than just tell you they see no problems.

LucidityyMC

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I am changing ISP soon (Telstra => iinet) is it worth trying the above fix or should i just hang tight until I get it changed to iinet? (couple of weeks)

EDIT: because to be completely honest, i cannot be remotely bothered to sit on hold for an hour just to get some random dude from somewhere that speaks a different language or can't understand english tell me that nothing is wrong

TRENDING THREADS