Question Internet speed issue

Sep 3, 2022
Hello everyone I have a problem here. I have recently switched ISP from Comcast to ATT. Previous Modem / router was a netgear modem and nighthawk router. Pushing 900+ MB. Now on to ATT. I am using their modem/router Nokia bgw320. The connection is 900+ MB. Confirmed through my phones as well as my Mac Desktop. The problem is when I plug the ethernet into my PC that was previously running comcast. I am currently only getting 28 MBPS. Im not sure if my network configured itself to the netgear modem and router or what. Ive even disconnected the ethernet and plugged it back into the mac and am still getting the 900+ MB speed. Ive tried uninstalling the realtek drivers and reinstalling them. Need some help please!!

That is a strange number to get it is very low.

I would first check the nic status and make sure it think you are connected at 1gbit. Still even if id 100mbps you should get more speed.

You already tried the standard driver solution, it is important to get the drivers from realtek site especially if you have a 2.5g port. They finally seemed to have worked out all the strange issues with those ports. If you actually used the blue port on the att router try one of the yellow 1gbit ones instead

The PC has no idea about what ISP it connects to. All it has is its IP and a gateway IP to send the traffic to. Now ATT uses different IP addresses than many routers, it uses 192.168.1.254 for gateway, but generally if you messed that up it would not work at all.
I guess you could check ipconfig /all and verify that the IP and gateway IP look correct.

Maybe it is something strange like att supports IPv6 and comcast didn't. Try to disable IPv6 in the nic settings.

After this I would try a linux USB boot image. This runs completely from the USB stick so it does not damage your windows install. It is somewhat limited in both performance and function but it is a good way to eliminate the hardware as the cause.
These images generally have a web browser preinstalled so you can run speedtest sites just like you do in windows.

The problem is this will likely just confirm it is some strange setting in windows or some software in windows. Maybe something like resource manager will show some process eating a lot of cpu. I can't though think why changing the ISP would matter. Generally the software in the pc would have a hard job to even determine it was on a different ISP.

Reactions: fjduff
Sep 3, 2022
That is a strange number to get it is very low.

I would first check the nic status and make sure it think you are connected at 1gbit. Still even if id 100mbps you should get more speed.

You already tried the standard driver solution, it is important to get the drivers from realtek site especially if you have a 2.5g port. They finally seemed to have worked out all the strange issues with those ports. If you actually used the blue port on the att router try one of the yellow 1gbit ones instead

The PC has no idea about what ISP it connects to. All it has is its IP and a gateway IP to send the traffic to. Now ATT uses different IP addresses than many routers, it uses 192.168.1.254 for gateway, but generally if you messed that up it would not work at all.
I guess you could check ipconfig /all and verify that the IP and gateway IP look correct.

Maybe it is something strange like att supports IPv6 and comcast didn't. Try to disable IPv6 in the nic settings.

After this I would try a linux USB boot image. This runs completely from the USB stick so it does not damage your windows install. It is somewhat limited in both performance and function but it is a good way to eliminate the hardware as the cause.
These images generally have a web browser preinstalled so you can run speedtest sites just like you do in windows.

The problem is this will likely just confirm it is some strange setting in windows or some software in windows. Maybe something like resource manager will show some process eating a lot of cpu. I can't though think why changing the ISP would matter. Generally the software in the pc would have a hard job to even determine it was on a different ISP.
I really appreciate your help. I just wanted to let you know that i did a reset again on the network adapter. restarted the PC and modem a couple times and the speed is oddly increasing lol. I have no idea why its taking this long to adjust but it crept up to 100 then 300 then 500 so far lmao