Question Internet speed seems to be capped at 100/100 Mbps ?

Apr 14, 2024
Hi everyone,
I've just noticed (and it's a shame I haven't earlier) that my internet speed is not what it should be. My old PC was showing 1000/1000Mbps in Windows Settings and roughly around that in speedtests online, but this new one I have is capped at 100/100 both in settings and around that in speedtests. I've tried updating my internet drivers from both Realtek and my mobo manufacturer (ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi) and nothing changed. People on the internet say it could be the issue of an old ethernet cable? I wanna make sure before I call the internet company and ask to replace the cable. If you need any additional info to help me please let me know. Thanks

Apr 14, 2024
It sounds correct. Try to connect the old computer to the same cable and see if that changes.
Yeah I just did that an hour ago since I thought I had a 300/300 connection, showed 1000/1000 and so did the online tests

Ok, and there is not a noticeable packet loss on the old computer either according to test results ?

From what you write, It appears that the two computers have different network cards with different "sensitivity" for the cable.

Assuming both computers having a network card capable of 1000MBps and all drivers are installed, there is only so many reasons I can think of being the root cause:
  • The network card is simply manually configured to 100MBps.
  • The cable is incorrectly wired and the old computer has a network card that is capable of auto-negotiate speed and duplex, while the new computer have a less capable network adapter.

Btw - I just found another similar thread on this forum with a solution (maybe you just haven't get the correct driver for it):

Apr 14, 2024
Ok, and there is not a noticeable packet loss on the old computer either according to test results ?

From what you write, It appears that the two computers have different network cards with different "sensitivity" for the cable.

Assuming both computers having a network card capable of 1000MBps and all drivers are installed, there is only so many reasons I can think of being the root cause:
  • The network card is simply manually configured to 100MBps.
  • The cable is incorrectly wired and the old computer has a network card that is capable of auto-negotiate speed and duplex, while the new computer have a less capable network adapter.

Btw - I just found another similar thread on this forum with a solution (maybe you just haven't get the correct driver for it):
The drivers were updated again and nothing changed, I've now checked the configuration and here is what I can tell you from options regarding speed:
EEE Max Support Speed: 2.5Gbps Full Duplex
Speed Duplex: Auto Negotiation (I tried changing it to 1Gbps Full Duplex but it didn't work)

Well, it's hard to tell, I'm almost tempted to say that something is wrong with the NIC if all other questions check out.

Next things to attempt anyway are:
  • Try with another (new, or at least not damaged or wore down) cat5e (or cat6) TP cable, as short in length as possible.
  • Disable WiFi.
  • If comfortable - try to boot the computer with a Linux Live ISO image, e.g. Ubuntu or Linux Mint - meant for testing without touching anything, i.e. not installing.

Apr 14, 2024
Well, it's hard to tell, I'm almost tempted to say that something is wrong about the nic if all other question check out.

Next thing to attempt anyway
  • Try with another (new, or at least not damaged or wore down) cat5e (or cat6) TP cable, as short in length as possible.
  • Disable WiFi.
  • If comfortable - try to boot the computer with a Linux Live ISO image, e.g. Ubuntu or Linux Mint - meant for testing without touching anything, i.e. not installing.
Yeah I think I might first get a new cable and see if that changes something, I might also contact both my mobo manufacturer and internet provider and ask them about this before I make any purchases, thanks for all the help

In rare cases it can be drivers but the speed negotiation on a port is a very basic thing based on voltages and resistances being detected. This is mostly done in hardware. So if the ethernet chip is bad you can't really fix it. Most port issues are some kind of physical damage to the small wires in the port. Luckly a add in pcie ethernet board is fairly inexpensive.

A port issue though is very very rare. In almost all cases it is a bad cable. All it takes is for one of the wires to work just slightly lose inside the plug and not make proper contact and it will not work properly. I tend to always have a new cable on hand because they are fairly cheap.

Apr 14, 2024
Understandable, but then if it is a cable problem, wouldn't it mean that I should be getting 100/100 on both my PCs and not have one way higher than the other?
EDIT: If it is not a cable problem but the port, is that a reasonable claim for warrantee?

It would be very nice if cable would just work or fail. I have had a number that work fine for a while but as they get warm the metal expands and something would fail. The internal wires would not completely disconnect if you took a battery and led it would still light up but with a voltage meter you could detect a very slight increase in resistance. Some machine tolerate out of spec cables more than others which makes troubleshooting this stuff hard.

Now if we were all rich we could just buy $1000 fluke cable tester and be sure.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah I just did that an hour ago since I thought I had a 300/300 connection, showed 1000/1000 and so did the online tests
So, the old PC using the same cable is getting you 1000/1000.

Have you tried using the old PC's network card in new system and see if it changes anything? (forgive me if this was done already, I read quickly through the posts and it's very early in the day).

Apr 14, 2024
So, the old PC using the same cable is getting you 1000/1000.

Have you tried using the old PC's network card in new system and see if it changes anything? (forgive me if this was done already, I read quickly through the posts and it's very early in the day).
Neither of my PCs have an external network card if that's what you're asking. Do you recommend buying an external one?

TRENDING THREADS