Internet speed slow on Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

popes2

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello everyone!

I recently installed Windows 8 Pro on my system and so far it has been a fairly positive experience. I did noticed however that my internet speed has dropped to an extreme low after the upgrade, with the download speed dropping from 17Mbps to 1.5Mbps at most and uploads took a small dip as well. I have a D-Link DWA-556 wifi card on my computer which is fairly new. I first assumed it was a driver problem and installed the latest atheros driver for the AR5008 chipset and it had the same problem as the driver Windows 8 installs itself (after uninstalling the driver in Device Manager). I also tried installing the driver I used before with Windows 7 that worked fine, but it too had the slow speeds sadly.

I decided to try tethering to my cellphone to see if maybe it was something to do with the house connection and apparently it seems to work fairly well. So now it feels like it is something to do with the router, but everyone else in the house has the same fast speeds as usual. Wifi status on windows 8 shows full bars and a full 300Mbps internet speed so health checks are fine. Again connectivity and speed was fine prior to the upgrade so I am wondering if maybe the problem is in a setting that needs to be changed on the router. I'm the only one in the house with Windows 8 as of now, everyone else is Windows 7. Has anybody ever dealt with a problem like this after the Windows 8 update and found out what may be causing this? Thanks for any support on this :) .

Kupper

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I think I'm having the same issue. I bought a new laptop in July and everything was working great until last month. Since then, my wifi randomly drops off.

It shows full bars of connectivity, the troubleshooter doesn't find anything. If I manually disconnect and reconnect everything is fine. This happens at random times, sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes hours apart.

What I have tried:
- Uninstalled and reinstalled the wifi driver
- Uninstalled and reinstalled my virus protection
- Unchecked the option to allow computer to turn off device
- Made sure in power management it was max performance
- Restarted the router

All other devices in the house that are connected to the wifi have no issues.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.