Question Internet speed slows down to a halt and then resumen

SaltyCode

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I started to notice that when downloading games from steam with file size 50+ gb every 20-30 mins the download speed slows down to a halt affecting the connection completetly (cant navigate or do anything involve with internet) and then resumes after a couple of second, but windows doesnt notifies a disconnection.

Weird thing is my tv is connected to the same router via wifi and isn't interrupted when this happens, same thing with my phone.

Also the day before i noticed this, i could leave an online game logged in and running for a day without any "disconnections".

I've checked for malware or spyware using antivirus scans and found nothing.

Tried refactoring network adapter drivers from motherboard and still. Also checked device manager and doesn't seem to be an issue with the network adapter device.

The networking is done via ethernet cable and computer running on windows 11, and the motherboard is about 6 months old.

Question is, is this normal and should i be concerned?

Last edited:
If it only does it on steam downloads and it only causes a small issue maybe not worth trying to fix. Steam can be very strange on how it downloads at times. Some it downloads the whole game and then does a install other it will download and install at the same time so you see a pause.

What it should not do is make it so you can't say open a web page....even steam wants you to keep shopping for more games while the download is happening.

I would try leaving a ping command run to 8.8.8.8 in a background cmd window. When steam seem so get stuck see if you still get response to ping. That would indicate you network is ok if it works.

Maybe the event viewer will have some error message during that time.

SaltyCode

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If it only does it on steam downloads and it only causes a small issue maybe not worth trying to fix. Steam can be very strange on how it downloads at times. Some it downloads the whole game and then does a install other it will download and install at the same time so you see a pause.

What it should not do is make it so you can't say open a web page....even steam wants you to keep shopping for more games while the download is happening.

I would try leaving a ping command run to 8.8.8.8 in a background cmd window. When steam seem so get stuck see if you still get response to ping. That would indicate you network is ok if it works.

Maybe the event viewer will have some error message during that time.

I followed your advise and this is what happened:

The first time it slowed down to nearly 1/10 of the download speed the pings were relatively successfull ( relative since the ocassional failed ping.

But there was a time that download speed slowed down to a halt for about 10 sec and 4 pings failed at the same times.

I would check the event viewer and see if you had any errors at that time.

Maybe change the IP you ping to your router ip. It should in theory be the same since if it works then it is the internet but since other machine are not affected that means the internet should be good.

There is not a lot that can be broken when you can't ping the router. Although it tends to be unlikely maybe the cable is bad. It might be good enough to pass data but when under load it may get errors.

Maybe try to download a large file from say microsoft. You should see similar data loss. Problem is with intermittent errors it is going to be hard to troubleshoot. By the time you issues commands to look at things the problem has cleared.

SaltyCode

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
This is the event viewer capture around the time the download speed slowed down to a halt which ocurred around 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM

https://ibb.co/PGPjsZd

I'm posting since maybe you can see something that i don't but the DNS warning came from outlook so i discarded it. The DistributedCOM warning is a bit sketchy but i'm not entirely sure of what it's about.

Hard to say most thing I have seen say this type of messages are normal part of how security function in windows. It all depends on if you can figure out what the actual program is associated with that big appid number.

I am not real strong in windows stuff I did pure networking stuff before I retired.

What I don't see here is any messages related to the ethernet port going down or any problem with for example the port having a IP address issues.

All this means is the problem is not actually seen by the computer. This likely means it is outside the machine. Again I would ping the router IP and see if you get loss there. Also be very sure that other devices are not really affected. If the failure is very short you may not see the problem on other devices. The most common reason would be some failure in the internet connection but if other devices work it then must be the computer in some way.

SaltyCode

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Hard to say most thing I have seen say this type of messages are normal part of how security function in windows. It all depends on if you can figure out what the actual program is associated with that big appid number.

I am not real strong in windows stuff I did pure networking stuff before I retired.

What I don't see here is any messages related to the ethernet port going down or any problem with for example the port having a IP address issues.

All this means is the problem is not actually seen by the computer. This likely means it is outside the machine. Again I would ping the router IP and see if you get loss there. Also be very sure that other devices are not really affected. If the failure is very short you may not see the problem on other devices. The most common reason would be some failure in the internet connection but if other devices work it then must be the computer in some way.

Can't say for certain other devices work completetly but what i can say is that the Smart TV connected to the wifi of the same router was streaming a netflix video though it may have loaded a good chunk and maybe thats why.

But what i did do with the iphone was a speed test during the "disconnection" both connected to the wifi and disconnected which results were correct to the speed of both different services (5g connection and household internet) so thats why im sure it was working as intended.

I already finished downloading what i needed from Steam but will try pinging the router next time i need to download a large file.

Event Viewer (y)

Also take a look at Reliability History.

Much more user friendly than Event Viewer and the time line format may provide revealing with respect to errors, warnings, informational actions, and patterns.

Will take a look at it.

Thanks anyway for all your help.[/QUOTE]