Internet speeds how to improve? suggestions?

rifat10467

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hey folks,

I'm sure this has been answered a million times but how do i improve my internet speeds?
I pay for 200mb and i'm only getting 40-70 mb download.
Also i read that to stream 4k i only need like 50mb... i can't even stream 1080p with my current speed?

Firstly, my setup is upstairs while my router and modem are downstairs.
Can i move it up? No. My modem is attached to a phonejack specifically for my security system. I physically cannot move my setup upstairs. The distance is probably like a 7 second walk to put it into perspective.

Can i buy an activate another modem?
Yes. But that cost $45 dollars a month. I called optimum they told me.

Did you use a powerline adaptor?
Yes. I just spend $95 dollars on a tplink 2gig one on amazon.
I got 20 mbs download. Even worse than wifi? Lol..
BTW this house is only 7 years old.

What do you use now?
An wifi extender about halfway.

The only two solutions i see are :
Wire an ethernet all the way from downstairs to upstairs. My parents probably wont approve tbh.
or
Buy a wireless router that's not the optimum stock. (Will this help?)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Solution
Look into moca devices then.

Let put it this way. If you hook the modem up in your room and then run a really long phone cable over the floor and down stairs to the security system it should work. Using the in wall telephone jacks...assuming you have them...is the same thing.
You answered your own question. Ethernet, except no substitutions.

A new router likely won't make any real difference as your setup is still in a suboptimal position. The wireless signals can't penetrate the walls so they are bouncing off them to reach your PC. Another router, might be "louder" but it still won't be able to directly communicate with your PC so you'll never get the full 200mb in this scenario.

Another possible solution is how exactly is this security system tied into the router? Is it just another ethernet cord plugged into it? Is the router doing anything other than just granting it network access? If that's the case you could put a wireless repeater with Ethernet port down stairs with the security box (it would plug into the repeater which of course is repeating your main router) and move the main modem/router upstairs.

rifat10467

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

it's a phoneline it's connected to.
The security system is only designated to that phoneline.
I tired checking my local microcenter for other modems with phonelines but that's not a thing these days apparently?

So do you have a coax jack in your room. You would need one to even think to move the modem/router in the first place.

The other option you have although kinda expensive is called MoCA. The newer MoCA 2 standard is based on a gigabit feed but most people will not get over 300-400. The main downside other than cost is they do not play well with some cable tv systems. Many full house DVR systems use the same bandwidth. There are some whole house DVR systems that actually use MoCA.

Now the other option if you have phone wire in all the rooms is to run the modem in your room and then connect back to the alarm system using the house phone wires.

rifat10467

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

I have a coax in my room but i can't move my phone upstairs.
If i move my phone upstairs the security system goes off.

Look into moca devices then.

Let put it this way. If you hook the modem up in your room and then run a really long phone cable over the floor and down stairs to the security system it should work. Using the in wall telephone jacks...assuming you have them...is the same thing.

Solution