Question Internet Speeds Randomly Dropped Significantly

Aug 19, 2022
My internet speeds have randomly dropped drastically. For the last 3 maybe 4 days I've been getting 20-30 Mbps down and 10-15 Mbps Up. I use to average 650-750 Down and 30 up (which is what I'm paying for). Wi-Fi is working as usual 30 down and 20 up.
Things I've tried: reset modem and router. updated and restarted the PC. Checked for Network adapter updates (there were none). Unplugged ethernet from both ends and re-plugged. Tested speeds on different browsers.
I'm running a 40ft ethernet through a window on the upstairs floor down to my room. Its been working fine for two years with no issues. I suspect it may be an issue with the cable itself and have ordered a new one. In the meantime, I wondered if it may be a software problem. *My MB doesn't have an integrated wireless NIC so I can't test Wi-Fi speeds through my PC.
ISP: RCN (I know it's not reliable)
Device: PC Only
Connection: Ethernet
Occasionally Use a VPN. Made sure it was off during speed tests. (Probably irrelevant but my speeds dropped around the same time I started using NordVPNs Threat protection service.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
What is written along the length of that 40 ft Ethernet cable? Specs, source?

Likely the cable has degraded especially if not rated for exterior use. And all the more so if the cable is not protected or secured in some manner.

While waiting for the replacement cable is it possible to pull the 40 ft cable in and connect the cable in place of some other known working, at speed, Ethernet cable?

Determine if the cable works at speed - may not be a fair test though. Hanging from a window is different than laying on a floor.

Different stresses. I would give it try.

If you have not actually order your new cable make sure you get cable rated for outdoor use. It is more going to be the sun that kills the outer plastic and lets water in. Outdoor cable tends to be UV rated as well as resistance to soil.
Be sure the ad for the cable says the cable is pure copper and has wire size 22-24. That flat cable you see is not certified cable and will have even more issues if you put it outside.

Aug 19, 2022
What is written along the length of that 40 ft Ethernet cable? Specs, source?

Likely the cable has degraded especially if not rated for exterior use. And all the more so if the cable is not protected or secured in some manner.

While waiting for the replacement cable is it possible to pull the 40 ft cable in and connect the cable in place of some other known working, at speed, Ethernet cable?

Determine if the cable works at speed - may not be a fair test though. Hanging from a window is different than laying on a floor.

Different stresses. I would give it try.
I got tired of waiting and went out to target and grabbed a cheap cable to rule out whether the cable was the problem. It seems it was. The wire I was using previously is around 10 years old. getting 950 down with the temporary test cable. Thanks for the reply.

Aug 19, 2022
If you have not actually order your new cable make sure you get cable rated for outdoor use. It is more going to be the sun that kills the outer plastic and lets water in. Outdoor cable tends to be UV rated as well as resistance to soil.
Be sure the ad for the cable says the cable is pure copper and has wire size 22-24. That flat cable you see is not certified cable and will have even more issues if you put it outside.
I ordered one last night. this is the one I went with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823VH9NX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
seems fine to me.

I ordered one last night. this is the one I went with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823VH9NX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
seems fine to me.
Will likely be ok. The wire is less thinner than recommended but it should work at that short distance.

Cat7 buys you nothing extra really. These cables have larger wires and you get 2 of them for less that the one you linked.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adoreen-Heavy-Duty-Shielded-Waterproof/dp/B097G32F2X

Reactions: itach1uch1ha