[SOLVED] internet speeds slow with wowway

Aug 22, 2020
Hello,

I moved into my girlfriends mom house as she was moving out. So they have WoW internet, (not sure the plan) but im getting terrible internet speeds. If I go to speedtest.net sometimes it shows 5mbps or it may show 20 mpbs.... slooooow. Now when I check my WiFi settings on my computer it shows a constant 75mbps. Cant seem to figure out why the large gap and terrible speeds.

My current PC setup can handle it so I am not worried.

ryzen 5 2600, RX 580, 16GB ram.
has anybody had issues like this and got it figured out?

Solution
Your first step is to always test with ethernet and compare that result to the amount of bandwidth the ISP on the plan you have claims you should get.

The network number you see on the nic do not actually represent the speed they represent the data encoding being used. Indirectly you can estimate the speeds but it is generally a small fraction of that number.

72.2 is a encoding for a very basic connection. It could be the router is older and only supports that or you have very poor signal levels.

Still your first test is with ethernet do see what the best possible connection speed is.

Ralston18

Titan
Wired or wireless connection?

On your computer ensure that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless as desired, is enabled.

Only one or the other - not both.

Failing that:

Run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Aug 22, 2020
Wired or wireless connection?

On your computer ensure that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless as desired, is enabled.

Only one or the other - not both.

Failing that:

Run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.
only my wireless is enabled, after running the cmd command there wasnt anything out of the ordinary shown. Again speed test is only 24 mbps but when i look at the actual network its showing 72.2-80 mbps. I can post the results but nothing wacky.

Ralston18

Titan
On your PC, run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Go to the network adapter's manufacturer's website. Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the wireless network drivers.

What make and model: modem, router? Other network devices?

Your first step is to always test with ethernet and compare that result to the amount of bandwidth the ISP on the plan you have claims you should get.

The network number you see on the nic do not actually represent the speed they represent the data encoding being used. Indirectly you can estimate the speeds but it is generally a small fraction of that number.

72.2 is a encoding for a very basic connection. It could be the router is older and only supports that or you have very poor signal levels.

Still your first test is with ethernet do see what the best possible connection speed is.

Solution