Internet suddenly extremely slow?!?

FrazzaJ

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
So yesterday at about 2pm, my internet suddenly just turned EXTREMELY slow. Like literally half a minute to load a webpage. I can also no longer load twitch videos or youtube videos which is one thing i do all the time.
>I do not have any viruses or malware on my pc.
>The internet is not just only extremely slow for my PC, but for all the devices in my house.
>I've tried clearing the cache and cookies, still no fix.
>It can't be that I've capped my internet usage because I'm on an unlimited plan.
>I don't think anybody is using my internet, it is secured with a password.

If someone could help me fix this extremely annoying situation, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!

Regards,
Fraser

Solution
Sounds good, I am about to hit the bed (midnight here). So I will check this post when I wake back up. Hopefully your speeds will have returned to normal by then. But if not, we can keep cracking away at this.
What type of internet are you on? DSL, Fibre, cable, mobile?

Have you checked your provider's website to see if there are any issues in their network? It's quite common for people to put diggers through fibre conduits.

Is it a true unlimited, or is there a 'fair use' policy? Could you have hit the limit of that?

6kx30bH.png

Right click on the start button and hit 'Command Prompt'. Type 'ping google.com'. Your results should be under about 150ms, depending on where google's nearest servers are to you. Might be better to ping google.com.au.

Also, what's the connection from your provider to your router? What comes into your house?

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Hit the start button, click on run (or hit the windows key and "r" at the same time) A box should pop up, type in "cmd" into that box. When a black box opens, type in "ping google.com" and then let me know what the number is for the "time = x ms". Where x is a numeric value. Similar to what icraft posted.

icraft: Are you still experiencing the problem or did things seem to fix themself after a matter of time?

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Does youtube show any sort of error when you try to watch a video? 77ms is a pretty solid response time for a website, so your computer should have no problem connecting and loading in a reasonable time. Do you know the speeds that you are supposed to get? For example, what package did you purchase from your ISP regarding download speeds?

One last thing, if you can try downloading a file from any site, to see if it is only the webpages which are having a problem or if the file download speeds are limited as well

FrazzaJ

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
SirSub, im really sorry I can't remember the EXACT package of download speeds, usually though they are always fairly quick and have no problems, as i said the most i can say is i have the unlimited package :/ The error with youtube videos is that its stuck on a black screen and just like....doesn't load, same with twitch livestreams.

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
If your speeds are limited when attempting to download a file, you can try downloading this file to test, just a simple 50mb linux distrobution. You can cancel after a minute or two so you can get a pretty good idea on the average speed.

I am at a loss after this however, I would suggest calling your ISP to see if they are having any issues on their end

FrazzaJ

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Ok thanks i will do that as soon as i can, i should post a reply no longer than a few hours, because I dont know the password to the providers website, im 14 so my mum does and she's at work >.>, will get back to you soon as she gets back from work and post results!

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Sounds good, I am about to hit the bed (midnight here). So I will check this post when I wake back up. Hopefully your speeds will have returned to normal by then. But if not, we can keep cracking away at this.

Solution

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
well if you are using a windows pc, go to the command line, cmd and then do a ping. find out how long it is taking. If that happens with me. I usually just reset the router or managed switch. Make sure you recognize the lights on your internet equipment.

Funny, everyone beat me to this. While i was typing it up i find all the replys ahead of me ha ha.