[SOLVED] Internet terribly slow via repeater

Jan 27, 2019
Hello and good day,

I am looking for some help.
I am living at another place for 1 1/2 years due to work and my internet here is mediocre to terrible. In the beginning it was really bad, always gone for a few seconds then coming back and so on. I moved my PC around a bit and that actually solved the problem. Until last week I had almost no internet problems. Now the problems are back and I can't figure out why.
For long times I have almost no internet (<0,5mbit downspeed), it often is gone for one or two seconds. Then it works just fine for two hours or so. This makes even surfing the internet really slow.
Now the main problem is easy to identify, I think. The Router is in another house and approximately 15 meters away from my PC. There is a repeater in my appartement, which is approximately two meters away from my PC in another room. My PC itself has a Wlan-Stick (cheap one, ~15€, drivers updated)
I know with a cable my internet would be much better, but it is not an option, same goes for getting a router myself.
Now I am wondering how I could fix this problem and what part is most responsible for it? Should I get a better stick?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Get rid of the "repeater". Get a directional wireless bridge, put it in the window facing the house with internet access and run your PC off an ethernet cable from the wireless bridge. Get something like an Engenius ENH202 or a Ubiquiti Nano 2.4 Ghz. Both of them will sit in the window, provide a directional WIFI antenna toward the WIFI source and allow you to connect via an ethernet cable.

kanewolf

Titan
Get rid of the "repeater". Get a directional wireless bridge, put it in the window facing the house with internet access and run your PC off an ethernet cable from the wireless bridge. Get something like an Engenius ENH202 or a Ubiquiti Nano 2.4 Ghz. Both of them will sit in the window, provide a directional WIFI antenna toward the WIFI source and allow you to connect via an ethernet cable.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

How would the landlord know? You sat something in the window. Nothing permanently mounted. No different than sitting a potted plant in the window.