Internet won't do a full speed

Micheal_4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
I have a strange problem. I upgraded my Internet from 75 megabits to 100 megabits and it refuses to go the full speed. When I was at 75 it would do 80 or above but as soon as I upgraded its barely doing 75. The router and modem are both new and I replaced the ethernet cables as well. I had a technician come out and they said the cable when he tested it was full speed and didn't know what the problem was and politely charged me 100 bucks to tell me that. Both modem and router are capable of speeds up to 365 megabits per second. Before I have to get gouged by the technician again I was wondering if anybody might have any ideas what I could try to fix it.Forgot to mention, my PC is almost new and is capable of 1000 mgbs per second And I'm hardwired to the router, not wireless

Solution
It shouldn't be at 100 if you left lan adapter on auto. Wont make any sense if its not saying gigabit.

If status does say gigabit then the modem is capable of offering you faster speeds of over 12.5MB/s over it's lan connection. In which case there's nothing wrong at your end.
What ISP service is it? I would complain to their customer service dept and tell them if they can't provide a higher speed than what you were getting for a lower price, to bump it back down to the prior speed/price at no charge.

First though, why are you wanting 100Mb vs 75Mb? 75Mb is fast enough to down stream 4k video. If the 100Mb has higher upload speed and you want to do your own streaming, I can see it, but otherwise it's not needed.

The max stream encoding bitrate for YouTube and Twitch is 6000, you only need 12Mb upload speed to support it.

I understand hardware comes into play on what may be causing it, though I would still question whether he NEEDS to be paying more for higher speed that may or may not benefit his intended use.

For one, we don't know if the 100Mb service has higher upload speed, or if he even intends to do any streaming of his own.

Sometimes solving a problem is going back to what wasn't broke and not trying to "fix" it.

Micheal_4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
It's happening on all devices I've tried wired. I would just stick with the 75 megabits per second but it also comes with a cap of 350 gigs(100 does'nt) and with downloading games and streaming netflix it burns through pretty quick. The provider is suddenlink. I'd tried talking them into letting me play a little extra for the no cap and keeping my speed but they wouldn't budge.I've also updated all my drivers so that shouldn't be a problem

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Whats your transfer speeds like between the devices on your network?

If your network speed is fine on your side then its your isp to the router. If speed was between 75 and 80 before and now even lower it has to be the isp. What cable did the technician test?

Suddenlink appears to be a cable internet provider. Cable anymore should be as good or better percentage of advertised speed as DSL. However speeds can drop quite a bit if you're using a VPN service. Did you by any chance also get a VPN service recently?

You shouldn't need to firmware update the modem because cable modems are usually automatically updated by the ISP. At any rate you're not getting even 80% of advertised speed, which is usually what DSL services promise, so if it's not caused by anything on your end (like a VPN), they have to fix this.

You should check your modem page to make sure all downstream channels are unlocked and running at roughly equal speeds. Modem page IPs are generally 192.168.0.1, which you can type into any net browser. You'll have to input your modem's username and password though.

Micheal_4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Under ethernet status and network in sharing it showing 100.0 mbps right now. When the technician came out the plug his device into the coax cable coming out of the wall and tested the speed there. He suggested it might be on the other end because he didn't know what the problem was so I call them and they tested it and said everything was fine and offered me another technician. They tried to tell me my modem was bad so i bought another one. Then they told me my router was bad so I got another one. Then they tried to tell me my computer was the problem and I just bought a brand new hp omen so i wasn't buying at that time so I gave up until now. It's been interesting to say the least.The thing that's getting me is why it would run slower with a faster speed instead of running at least the same speed as before.I'm not using a vpn but I will check my modem page

Micheal_4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Here's what my modem is showing

Status Up
Speed 100Mbps
Duplex Full

Port ID Frequency (Hz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Signal noise ratio (dB) Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables Channel ID
1 267000000 256QAM 8.824 38.258 1765385 0 0 9
2 255000000 256QAM 9.350 38.258 1769469 0 0 7
3 261000000 256QAM 9.110 37.936 1773555 0 0 8
4 279000000 256QAM 8.648 38.258 1777648 0 0 11
5 285000000 256QAM 8.367 37.936 1782382 0 0 12
6 291000000 256QAM 7.917 38.258 1786293 0 0 13
7 297000000 256QAM 7.758 38.258 1790245 0 0 14
8 303000000 256QAM 7.585 38.258 1794198 0 0 15

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Can you show us a screen shot of that status page. Does it look like this?

network-connection-nopackets.png

100mbps is only 12.5MB/s. Should be running 1.0Gbps

You really need to stop trusting what people say and giving in to buying replacement parts, systems to solve it. That makes you look gullible and some ISPs will take advantage of that by selling you things you don't need and over billing on monthly rates.

Also, any modem should have at least one WAN port just to connect your PC, so try connecting just it to the PC to see if your router is causing this.

Just so you know, for some time now many brands/models of cable modems have had built in routers, there's no need anymore to buy a separate modem and router. They also have all the benefits on speed and security separate modem, router setups have.

I have 100Mb cable service capped at 400GB per month, which is plenty for me, but granted I only play certain types of games. I went with the Arris SurfBoard SBG6580-2. With over 24,000 Amazon reviews and a 4/5 star rating, it's easily their most purchased, best reviewed cable modem, and comes with a built in 4 port router.
https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6580-2-DOCSIS-2-4Ghz/dp/B0100KRBA6

It consistently tests at 106Mb on my 100Mb service, which is actually 1Mb better speed than the 1 gigabit rated modem/router my ISP first set me up with. It also has a 2 year warranty. These used to be made by Motorola, until Arris bought Motorola's modem division.

If you bought your modem and router at a place like Amazon and still have the 30 day satisfaction guaranteed return option, I would advise refunding them and getting the one I mentioned. It is never more than mildly warm and is a very solid modem/router combo.

Micheal_4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
I can't find the upload picture button on here but where your speed says 1.0 gbps mine says 100.0 mbps. I'm pretty sure this computers supposed to do 10/100/1000 speeds. Here's what it is: https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-870-000-desktop-pc-series/11084748
100mbps does translate to 12.5mb but testing on steam the fastest speeds im getting currently is 9.0mb/s.

frag maniac: I wouldn't have trusted them but I had my doubts about my equipment so I gave in. I bought my own though, renting equipment is just a waste of money. I tried plugging my computer directly into the modem but I get the same results. I have tested other modems just to make sure I didn't buy a dud and they did the same thing.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have a look under your network adapter's properties for speed & duplex. Network adapter properties > click configure > advanced to get this window then scroll down a bit for speed and duplex.

q0DvjB3.png

There are quite a few models of that Hp omen, which one is it? https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-000-desktop-pc-series/11084748/product-info

Anyhow i just checked specifications on a few and they all have gigabit nics so speed & duplex on auto should default to the highest speed. Let us know what it's set to.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
On auto speed and duplex will default to the lowest denominator. Since your network status is showing 100, it's either the router or network cable slowing things down.

What router is it? Just want to check but doubt if at all 100mbps routers are sold anymore.

How many pairs of wires does your network cable have? Should be 4pair total of 8 individual wires.

Do you have a switch you could connect to to see if speed status changes?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry to say, this router is only 10/100. The wireless part is faster but thats over home network though not internet. This is why your computer's lan is negotiating at 100Mbps, it can't go higher so your speeds is about right.

http://www.tenda.cz/sites/Upload/F300/F300_UG.pdf

Up to
300Mbps wireless rate;

1 10/100M WAN port for Internet connection;

4 10/100M Ethernet ports for LAN connection;

Full 100Mbps is about 12.5MB/s. I have 100mbps fiber on gigabit router and in speedtest.net i get about 94.5mbps (11.75MB/s) but in steam usually sits about 11MB/s depending on Steam servers.

9MB/s is not too bad, maybe a meg or so bit more it should be but looks like your router may be limiting it being 10/100. Network speeds rarely go to the absolute maximum, like on my gigabit switch i reach 0.96Gbps or 120MB/s over lan and thats with Cat6 cables (Cat5e was no different actually) and both PCs with SSDs, so there was no limitation besides the nic and switch.

There are other Steam servers you can try, just need to change it in Steam UI.

Also need to think about congestion too around your neighborhood, people in your street share the cable line's bandwidth.

Micheal_4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
I would agree with you about the router but it does the same speed plugged directly into the modem. You could be right about the bandwidth being sucked up by the neighbors though. Although that wouldn't explain why I get faster speed with a lower Internet package vs. the faster one.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It shouldn't be at 100 if you left lan adapter on auto. Wont make any sense if its not saying gigabit.

If status does say gigabit then the modem is capable of offering you faster speeds of over 12.5MB/s over it's lan connection. In which case there's nothing wrong at your end.

Solution

Micheal_4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
It said 1.0 gb when I opened it up so I decided to hassle my isp again today. I must have got someone who knew what they're doing this time because whatever they reset seems to have fixed the problem. Either way I'm happy, thanks for the help!

Latest posts