Question Internet won't work when connected to router, only on modem (Rogers XB7)

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I use an Asus RT 5300 router. Recently I upgraded to the Rogers infrastructure, and received a new XB7 modem.

The tech told me BRIDGE MODE doesn't work well on these modems, so I left it for the time being. This is why I am connected the following way:

My modem is connected to an Asus RT 5300 router through a 1GB ethernet port. The router is used for most WIFI and ETHERNET connections. There is a separate ETHERNET cable going from the 2.5GB port on the modem directly to a 1GB switch, feeding 2 PCs (for my son and I)

I wanted to bridge the modem so I connected my PC back to the router and turned on bridge mode, and suddenly I've lost all connection to the internet through my pc, while my sons pc and all other connections have NO ISSUES! So I turned off bridge mode and did some troubleshooting.

A few things:

When my PC is connected to the modems 2.5GB port, with the router connected to the 1GB port (non bridge mode), my internet is working fine, but my WIFI adapter won't work.
If I use the Rogers modem WIFI, my WIFI works fine.
If I use the router 1GB port, my internet is totally gone, but only on my PC. No others are affected.

One variation: When I have my PC connected through the router 1GB port on my router, my internet works for about 5-10 seconds while Windows is loading everything up.

I am unable to use bridge mode because my PC is in love with this 2.5GB port on the modem. Must be valentines day soon...

I hope this explains enough. I've tried to release and renew through ipconfig. Nothing seems to work. I have no VPN or firewall. Nothing has changed. Please help.

Disable the DHCP feature on the ASUS router to prevent IP conflicts with the XB7 router.
The XB7 router will manage the network IP distribution.

Manually set the IP Address of the Asus router to a number higher than the IP address on XB7.
For example: If your XB7 router IP is 10.0.0.1 , set the ASUS router to 10.0.0.2

By the way, I have setup the XB7 (on Xfinity) with another router in bridge mode without issues.

Do you really need two routers?
I would use the XB7 and the switch.

The Asus RT-AC5300 was a very good device 6 years ago but now the XB7 and XB8 perform just as well.

Reactions: plunix

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Disable the DHCP feature on the ASUS router to prevent IP conflicts with the XB7 router.
The XB7 router will manage the network IP distribution.

Manually set the IP Address of the Asus router to a number higher than the IP address on XB7.
For example: If your XB7 router IP is 10.0.0.1 , set the ASUS router to 10.0.0.2

By the way, I have setup the XB7 (on Xfinity) with another router in bridge mode without issues.

Do you really need two routers?
I would use the XB7 and the switch.

The Asus RT-AC5300 was a very good device 6 years ago but now the XB7 and XB8 perform just as well.

I see your point but i like the advanced features that the asus router offers, like web history. I just want bridge mode to work. I'll try out your suggestion. Thanks.

I have the white modem rectangular modem, TG4482, which i thought was the xb7. In not fully sure.

Last edited:
Web history is pretty much a useless feature if you have your end device configured properly.

So by default all traffic is bypassing the cpu chip in your router. Turning on any feature such as say parental controls or anything else that want to actually see details of the date packets requires this bypass feature be disabled so the CPU chip can see the traffic. This will drop your top speed to say 300mbps because the CPU will bottleneck the traffic. Even with this feature all the router can see are the IP addresses it can not see the web sites because all web traffic is encrypted via HTTPS. The IP addresses many times mean nothing because so many web sites are virtual servers in cloud data centers from say cloudflare or akamai.

This leave snooping on DNS calls. This just gives lists of sites not how much traffic. This feature should not work if you have properly configured your end clients. The default is to use the router as a proxy for the DNS which is how the router snoops. What you should have configured in encrypted DNS using 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 as your DNS server. If you do this then the router has no way to see what sites are being used. Much more important is it also prevents other people outside your house from seeing this information also.

The TG4482 and XB7 are the same device. It is a fairly powerful router.

In any case if you are going to use the asus router and want the XB7 in bridge mode your only cabling option is.

---ISP----XB7---asus----all your end devices.

The 2.5g port that you like will be limited to 1gbit by the wan port of the asus router. So if you pay for more than 1gbit of internet you will not be able to use it.

Note unless the switch you are using also has a 2.5g port it will also run at 1gbit so you gain nothing by plugging your 2 pc into that port via a switch. Also if you do not pay for faster than 1gbit internet the 2.5g port will still be limited by the internet speed you pay for.

Reactions: plunix