Interview: Oculus VR Founder Palmer Luckey On The State And Future Of VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I think its great that we dont have enough GPU power. It will really put on the pressure for the GPU guys to get more competative, and have more motivation to release an"actual new line of cards". Instead of a slightly improved line, or a rehash. *fingers crossed* for both AMD and Nvidia to do their best their capable of. Time will tell the story.

rapman4488

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

Well Nvidia should be releasing Pascal next year and the new architecture brings insane performance improvements. Jen-Hsun Huang said in a press conference in March that he estimates up to a 10x theoretical performance increase over Maxwell. I would say that in real world tests, (game framerates) a 2x improvement would sound pretty realistic and conservative. A 2x performance increase is massive and that is definitely on the conservative side of his estimate. This should hopefully bring us far over that current barrier VR has with GPU power mentioned in the article.

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I'm really disappointed that neither the bigger games: Oculus nor Valve's VR invested in eye tracking technology. Eyetracking is CRUCIAL for a full a completely immersive experience, as it can push, with adaptive rendering, the quality of the image to the next level. It is also ESSENTIAL for a full 3D experience as it can simulate depth of field. The biggest problem that stereoscopic films and technology has always suffered is from the lack of selective depth of field, many people, including me, don´t like 3D cinema and televisions and fell dizzy and weird because you can´t choose what we want to focus. Eyetracking can correctly identify what your eyes are trying to focus on and simulate how the light rays hit your retina avoinding brain confusion to fail to achieve focus.

When I discovered tha FOVE VR was investing in eyetracking, Oculus and Vive Vr instantly lost my money. I will support FOVE, (and you guys should too) because I really wish it attains significancy in the VR game and force the competition to implement eyetracking too on a second generation devices.

sintheticreality

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
I'm really disappointed that neither the bigger games: Oculus nor Valve's VR invested in eye tracking technology. Eyetracking is CRUCIAL for a full a completely immersive experience, as it can push, with adaptive rendering, the quality of the image to the next level. It is also ESSENTIAL for a full 3D experience as it can simulate depth of field. The biggest problem that stereoscopic films and technology has always suffered is from the lack of selective depth of field, many people, including me, don´t like 3D cinema and televisions and fell dizzy and weird because you can´t choose what we want to focus. Eyetracking can correctly identify what your eyes are trying to focus on and simulate how the light rays hit your retina avoinding brain confusion to fail to achieve focus.

When I discovered tha FOVE VR was investing in eyetracking, Oculus and Vive Vr instantly lost my money. I will support FOVE, (and you guys should too) because I really wish it attains significancy in the VR game and force the competition to implement eyetracking too on a second generation devices.

Oculus and Valve/HTC are actually heavily investing in eye-tracking. There are several firms that both companies have been working with to incorporate eye-tracking into future iterations of their head-mounted displays. I think we'll see eye-tracking and facial tracking in the 3rd or 4th-gen headsets, so only a few years away. A generation in VR will move, as admitted by people within Oculus like Palmer and others, in a similar speed to smartphones. So, 1-2 years for each new hardware release.

but at the end of the day we are reliant on how many flops the GPU can push,

I immediately pictured "Occulus" in some epic-looking stonework font on the cover of their debut metal album, "Pushing Flops". I'm going to go get some coffee now and get those synapses firing correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.