Interview With Razer: Custom Switches Come To Orbweaver Keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I can't make any sense of that image. Is it upside down and mirrored?
lol yeah I was confused too at first. It's just upside-down. Your palm rests on the curved surface at the top of the image, with your thumb sitting on the thumbstick and your other fingers clawed over the numerical keys.

dovah-chan

Honorable

Oh it's just when they say that there are no mechanical switches made for gamers and instead only for typists. Sure none of the Cherry switches aren't made specifically for gaming but there is a larger gamut to choose from than just 'switches for gamers'. Some people just prefer reds over blues and so on.

Anyways I don't really mind gaming pads and it's nice to see they have a mechanical one but I wish they wouldn't try to offset themselves from other brands using silly 1990's nickelodeon marketing. (Oh and those razer switches are just from another OEM and are the equivalent of blue switches)

I have one. Rather like it. Yes, it's overpriced when compared to a full mech keyboard, but it's the only fully mechanical, fully adjustable gameboard made right now ( that I know of. ) And unlike a keyboard, the buttons are arranged in an actual grid, not offset like keyboard rows, so blind actuation is a lot easier.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Have an older one, have most of the modeling hotkeys in my 3D software mapped onto it, and it makes detail work much faster and easier on the wrists.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
When you click on the Orbweaver link the unit shown is definitely for the left hand. The thumb pad is on the right side and the pic shows a left hand reaching for the Orbweaver. Unless this is for your 'other' right hand.

Ravn

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
When you click on the Orbweaver link the unit shown is definitely for the left hand. The thumb pad is on the right side and the pic shows a left hand reaching for the Orbweaver. Unless this is for your 'other' right hand.

NIce spotted! It certainly looks like it's the "other right" version. A lefthanded rendering artist could explain why? But funny how the pic got through the marketing folks without anyone notice it. :)

There's no error in the picture, this thing is designed for the left hand. As Wyoming guessed, the mouse stays in your right hand and you use this in your left instead of a normal keyboard.

As for the number of keys, the thumb hat-switch is eight-way and you have two other buttons there as well ( the lower paddle defaults to the space bar, the other is the Alt key. ) 20 + 8 + 2 = 30. All 30 keys/buttons can be remapped and reprogrammed and each key profile can have eight different subsets. I've yet to need more than three profile sets for any game while most stay at two.

ctguy1955

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I wish it did come with a braided cord, That would have been nice for the price.
instead of the crappy plastic one. I paid 138 with state tax and the
Nostromo for 65 HAS a braided cord.....

USBcordfromnostromo_zps596c57db.jpg

Yes, a braided cable would be welcome as even the Tartarus has it. Also, I'd prefer the cable to be on the far left side of the device. This thing is meant to be at the far left side of the desk. Why not a cable that hugs that edge so it doesn't interfere with my keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.