Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

larbec7

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
I had a BIOS password on my Dell D810 and I decided to disconnect the battery to reset my computer. The battery was under the main battery. I left it un-plugged for about 30 minutes and now when I boot up it says
"Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program" BUT does not give me the option to run F1 or F2. I cannot run set-up

What do I need to do to fix this?

miking

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I had the same problem on my Dell Latitude D820. My laptop was out of warranty period and the CPU fan had been clogged with lint so I'd had to remove the battery and pull everything apart to clean out the fan.

After I put everything together I'd inserted the battery and it had auto-started. I'd turned it off again, but had failed to notice a message about the fact that the settings had been lost giving me the option to enter setup or continue. It seems that by turning the computer off with this problem unresolved caused the laptop to enter a indeterminate mode where every subsequent time I turned the computer on I'd get the same message you describe "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program." with no options to press F2, etc.

After Googling all the forums I could think of I was thinking I was looking at an expensive Dell support call, but I decided to try to remove the CMOS battery which I'd noticed instructions in the Dell Latitude D820 Service Manual I'd downloaded from Dell earlier. When opened the cover to the RAM / CMOS-battery compartment I found the CMOS battery missing. It turns out that the Dell technician who'd done a repair about 18 months ago and had replaced the motherboard had not replaced my CMOS battery! Anyway by the time I put my main battery back in, the CMOS info had been fully reset again, and the computer auto-started and gave the more useful messages with options of continuing or entering setup.

This time I wisely chose to press F2 for the setup program, check the settings and save them and then everything booted successfully and my computer is working again.

I don't normally post on forums, but I setup an account to document my experience in the hope that it is helpful to someone else.

tsang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my XPS m1210. Originally, the laptop would not boot at all. So, I replaced the motherboard which also did not fix the problem. My system was still not powering up. I replaced the power circuit board which fixed the powering up issue. However, as soon as it powers up I get the message on a black screen, "invalid configuration information - please run setup program." My problem here is I do not have any way of accessing the BIOS since system is not giving me options F2 or F1. Please help. Thank you very much!!!

svhlee

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hi, I have same issue like yours (Model: XPS M1210). After replaced the base due to wireless on-off switch broken, boot up the system got the message "invalid configuration information - please run setup program". I though I missed some of the wire not connected to the system board. I re-open the whole laptop, and nothing wrong with the wire connection. Therefore, I power on again, same message came out. But I left the system on about 5 to 10 minutes, then it shows need to run setup F2 due to CMOS battery plug out when I disassemble the laptop. So, the solution is you have to wait for a while... it works for me after that. Cheers!!

G

I had a BIOS password on my Dell D810 and I decided to disconnect the battery to reset my computer. The battery was under the main battery. I left it un-plugged for about 30 minutes and now when I boot up it says
"Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program" BUT does not give me the option to run F1 or F2. I cannot run set-up

What do I need to do to fix this?

biil

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Any solutions to this problem yet? I have been pulling my hair out, can not get pass the invalid configuration message after I replaced ram chips. I can't understand why I am not prompted with the F1 - F2 messages

RaXha

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I had this issue once after reseating the memory on a Latitude D830, i ran the onboard diagnostics and after that the ssytem would boot normally again.

To run PSA diagnostics press the FN key while system is turned of and power on the system.

G

I just had the same problem on a D830 .. While running to another computer to find a solution I just left the laptop with the invalid system configuration message.. 5 min or so later it came up with a screen to get to the bois settings. After that everything works!! So i guess the solution is to just to have some patience while the bios tries to figure things out.

yafo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Thanks to point out the battery problem possibility. I just updated the date and it is working perfectly. I guess I need to do it every time or buy a new battery.

thevicster

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
thank you, it was very helpful!

Psydekick

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I just had the same problem on a D830 .. While running to another computer to find a solution I just left the laptop with the invalid system configuration message.. 5 min or so later it came up with a screen to get to the bois settings. After that everything works!! So i guess the solution is to just to have some patience while the bios tries to figure things out.

Inspiron E1705.

In my case I had taken the CMOS battery out and RAM (and Video card and heat-sink) to clean out dust. Just for giggles I had taken the monitor apart and I wondered if I missed a cable.

Read this post, and yes, patience is a virtue. Waited a few minutes and it prompted the time/date set as well as other options.

Holding FN during boot is also good to know.

Rayborn

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Go back to basics remove all additional cards (usb/firewire/scsi etc) so their is no extra stuff for the bios to negotiate. Make sure your primary drive is on the correct channel. Then reboot with the cmos battery in place. This should allow you back in. Failing this for the password issue if you know your bios spec search the internet for some factory passwords to let you in. let me know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.