Question Inverted case - what are my options?

Jul 24, 2024
Hi guys,

I'm new at this and need some help. This is for a new build with a 4080 super.

I want/need to place my PC case on the left side of the desk (and with limited space towards the left wall), but I still want to see the components. So I figure I need to go with an inverted build. However, it seems it's super rare - I can only find a few tests or reviews for similar builds. So maybe you can help out - anyone with this configuration? What should I go for?

Requirements:
- Fish tank build.
- Preferably not with the GPU upside down since I think it ruins the look.
- Great temps, obviously. I guess I can't wish for 100% optimal thermals with this, but as long as we're not talking 10 degrees higher than a standard build.

From what I've found my only option is the Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo (in reverse mode) and the GPU in upright position (not to be confused with vertical where it still is displayed horizontally along the case).

My questions:
- Are there alternatives for me?
- How are the temps for the above solution? I'm looking at a 4080 Strix; I heard temps are awful in upright position but only non-inverted (due to heat pipes design as far as I understand).
- Would you recommend this, even, or insist on not going for an inverted build?
- How would I go about the case fan configuration? GPU fans will be exhaust I asssume. Three intake in the bottom and... what more if I have a fish tank with no intake fans in the front? Would a GPU in upright position not be compatible (temp wise) with a glass front?

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A lot to unpack here.

Axial fan GPUs blow towards the card, so they are always intakes to themselves. Not often they are put in a position where they act as exhaust.

If you get a blower style card, they exhaust out the GPU backplate (i/o) but the fan is an intake.

There are other solutions to wanting a computer on your left.

Thermaltake has a few cube like chassis with windows on three sides. Tower 300, Tower 500 that might work for you.

Rajintek Thetis is another good one, more traditional but inverted so that the CPU is at the bottom of the chassis and the GPU is up top.

Could probably track down more with some additional searching.

Reactions: werner86
Jul 24, 2024
A lot to unpack here.

Axial fan GPUs blow towards the card, so they are always intakes to themselves. Not often they are put in a position where they act as exhaust.

If you get a blower style card, they exhaust out the GPU backplate (i/o) but the fan is an intake.

There are other solutions to wanting a computer on your left.

Thermaltake has a few cube like chassis with windows on three sides. Tower 300, Tower 500 that might work for you.

Rajintek Thetis is another good one, more traditional but inverted so that the CPU is at the bottom of the chassis and the GPU is up top.

Could probably track down more with some additional searching.
Thanks! Yeah this seems like a toughie - sometimes I feel I'm kind of screwed for not having the possibility to have my case on the right side.

Ah yeah, my mistake in phrasing there. I meant the GPU and the case fans behind it will be an exhaust. So the GPU takes in air through the card and the case fans behind will exhaust it. Blower style is not an option I think; I want the lowest noise possible without going for a non-glass case.

I looked a lot at Thermaltake The Tower 300 and 500 but I wasn't a fan of the popcorn machine look, having the IO on the top (and having to pop off the top to connect/disconnect things). Rajintek isn't available in my country (Sweden) unfortunately.

Maybe I should just go with an ordinary build, but having the PC along the back side of the desk so the back of the case is toward the left wall. However, then I can't see the case at all since my second monitor is in front of it... Again, it feels like options are extremely limited if you want your case on the left side and still see it.

No one really makes a BTX case anymore so its hard to find a case that fits on the left side of a desk.

Lian Li had a few back in the day but are very hard to find. Sharkoon makes a modified one that has the IO of the motherboard pointing upwards in the case.

I want/need to place my PC case on the left side of the desk (and with limited space towards the left wall), but I still want to see the components.
be quiet! has cases with inverted motherboard plate options
ImageServer.php

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you don't mind spending a little there is the In Win Mod Free, it is a modular case design, but that does mean you can completely rotate the guts and have it inverted that way.

https://www.in-win.com/en/ibuild-ishare/modfree

I almost guarantee you can get a Rajintek case shipped from somewhere. Temu, Aliexpress, etc. Might take a while to get though.

Benchmarking setup?
Wall mount?

Silverstone Lucid is a weird one.