Invisible files taking up space on my SSD

Trystyr

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I can't find some large files hoarding space on my SSD. Folder properties indicates a folder is huge, but the searchable folder contents are miniscule.

*Edit:

Sorry I had typed out a more thorough diagnosis of my problem on the front page but it appears to have dropped it while registering.

When I say, right click C:/Users it's 3.4GB Drilling down through gives me two folders "Trystyr" and "Public"

Trystyr is 3.2GB by properties, Public is 200MB.

Drilling own into Trystyr and selecting everything visible only quantifies 590MB. I tried looking for "show hidden" stuff, but I can't seem to locate it in Windows 7.

Solution
Had a similiar issue on my bosses computer. Possible very simple solution I used was tree in command prompt and piped the output to a text file to go through. Found hundreds of old video files from surveillance was taking up tons of memory.
In cmd:
tree >output.txt
OR
tree -f >output.txt

can't remember, don't use Windows much. But will write your entire directory tree to output.txt and you can just go through and search for large numbers of unidentified files.

shibby4555

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Had a similiar issue on my bosses computer. Possible very simple solution I used was tree in command prompt and piped the output to a text file to go through. Found hundreds of old video files from surveillance was taking up tons of memory.
In cmd:
tree >output.txt
OR
tree -f >output.txt

can't remember, don't use Windows much. But will write your entire directory tree to output.txt and you can just go through and search for large numbers of unidentified files.

Solution