Question IOgear KVM losing video/keyboard/mouse on Windows machine

Jan 12, 2022
I have a CentOS 7 workstation and a Windows 10 workstation connected to an IOgear GCS1942 KVM switch. The KVM allows two monitors, so both machines are sharing two Dell 24" monitors.

When switching back and forth between the CentOS and Windows machine, it happens fairly often that the Windows machine stops responding to the keyboard and mouse and I have to do a hard reboot to get back control of the PC.

A separate issue is that all of the open applications move to one window when switching back to the Windows machine. (I'm not having any issues at all with the CentOS workstation - everything works fine)

Any suggestions?

Ralston18

Titan
On the Windows 10 workstation look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Are either one (or both) may be recording any errors, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the times that an OS switch (either way) is made?

This KVM?

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-2-Por...C4Y1/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

What connections are being used from keyboard and mouse to KVM and from KVM to computers and monitors?

Verify that each cable is working by substituting cables.

KVM software up-to-date?

https://www.iogear.com/support/dm/driver/GCS1942

Jan 12, 2022
Ok, I'm using the brand new cables that came in the KVM box. I did the firmware update today. The two monitors are connected to the KVM via the display port connections (btw, the monitors are Dell 24", the PC is a Dell Optiplex 7040 connecting the video via the built in Intel display port video).
The issue about losing control of the screen is an intermittent problem. It hasn't happened again since I wrote this post. The issue about all the open applications moving to one window happens every time.
In the reliability logs, all the errors are about backgroundTaskHost.exe stopping working.
The CentOS machine initially had issues that were resolved by generating EDID.bin files for each monitor and adding an option to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf that pointed to those EDID files.
The same 2 systems were previously using an analog IOgear KVM with VGA connectors, and the Windows PC never had an issue with anything. One difference in the Windows PC is that previously it was using an NVIDIA graphics card. The NVIDIA card was removed for this iteration, and the built in video with display port connections is being used instead.