Iomega Reveals USB 3.0 External SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
A card that inserts into the USB 2.0 port and gives you a full-speed USB 3.0 port at the other end??? Sounds unlikely, but it would be cool if true. I would love to hear more about this part, maybe see a link.

Anyway, there are $40 cards you insert in PCI-E x1 ports to get two USB 3.0 ports.

ansemx324

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
why would you honestly need solid state drive speeds for an external drive that small? SSD's are really only worth the money right now if you're using it as a boot drive and taking advantage of the performance...moving whatever data to an external drive that costs 5x more than anything else isnt' worth it, especially when esata does comparable speeds

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]A card that inserts into the USB 2.0 port and gives you a full-speed USB 3.0 port at the other end??? Sounds unlikely, but it would be cool if true. [/citation]
That's great idea! You could have a USB 3.0 adapter that plugs into 2 USB 2.0 ports, or maybe even 3... I'd buy it anyway...

G

Two comments:
1 - Not interested until the price for SSDs is more like $1 per GByte.

2 - I hope IOmega is a different company than the one from years ago. The Biomedical company I work for now got burned badly, years ago, when IOmega removable drives were destroying themselves and the data. What a mess that was.

G

In reply to why you would need this: virtual machines baby! Virtual Machines!!

Status
Not open for further replies.