Question IP address issues

Jul 25, 2024
My home network uses 2 different kind of IP addresses. 1 is in the 198.162.1.??? format, but I also have some in this format-83.38.???.1. I think this is what is causing me to have connection between the devices with the different IP addresses. In checking I found that when they setup my internet they have my modem feeding a TP Link 8 port gigabit desktop switch - it is a TL-SG108 switch. Then one of the ports is connected to my Deco router. I have tried to route the modem strait to the Deco and then feed the switch from that but I lose internet on some of the devices that are connected to the switch. I must be missing something and have not been able to figure it out. Any ideas??

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The 192.168.1.X addresses are your internal addresses that are assigned/managed by your router to your various devices.

The 38.83.X.X is your external address assigned by your ISP.

Please list clearly the order your devices are attached. For example:

Modem to router to switch.

The modem, if I am reading your post earlier, should not connect to the switch. Rather the modem connects to the router and then the switch to the router.

The way you have it connected generally doesn't work.

The first IP you list is a private IP and I suspect is being provided by your router. The second IP appears to be a public ip. This is likely being given to you by your ISP.

Really the only reason people need a so called "router" in their house is to share the public IP you are given by the ISP with your internal device.

If there were a unlimited number of public IP you could just use a simple switch. In most cases you are only given 1 public IP address so only 1 device can use it. If you only had 1 pc I guess you could plug directly in to the modem without any kind of router but I doubt that many people fall in this category.

So you are pretty much stuck having your router get the public IP and then give private IP to all the other devices.

I would start simple. Hook the router to the modem...of course make sure you use the wan port. Then make sure everything works plugging into router lan ports and using wifi. After that try to add a switch. It should all just work the switch you have has no ability to be configured anyway.

Jul 25, 2024
The 192.168.1.X addresses are your internal addresses that are assigned/managed by your router to your various devices.

The 38.83.X.X is your external address assigned by your ISP.

Please list clearly the order your devices are attached. For example:

Modem to router to switch.

The modem, if I am reading your post earlier, should not connect to the switch. Rather the modem connects to the router and then the switch to the router.
Thats what I was thinking but if I switch it around I lose internet connections on some devices and I have to swap it back to get everything back connected to the internet - that what confuses me.

Jul 25, 2024
The way you have it connected generally doesn't work.

The first IP you list is a private IP and I suspect is being provided by your router. The second IP appears to be a public ip. This is likely being given to you by your ISP.

Really the only reason people need a so called "router" in their house is to share the public IP you are given by the ISP with your internal device.

If there were a unlimited number of public IP you could just use a simple switch. In most cases you are only given 1 public IP address so only 1 device can use it. If you only had 1 pc I guess you could plug directly in to the modem without any kind of router but I doubt that many people fall in this category.

So you are pretty much stuck having your router get the public IP and then give private IP to all the other devices.

I would start simple. Hook the router to the modem...of course make sure you use the wan port. Then make sure everything works plugging into router lan ports and using wifi. After that try to add a switch. It should all just work the switch you have has no ability to be configured anyway.
I looked at the Deco and it has 3 ethernet slots numbered 1,2,3. There is not one that is labeled WAN as other routers I have does. The Deco is supplied by my internet provider and I can't swap it out.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thats what I was thinking but if I switch it around I lose internet connections on some devices and I have to swap it back to get everything back connected to the internet - that what confuses me.
Power down all network devices.

Restart in this order.

Modem
Router
Switch

Restart your devices as desired.

The switch should not be between the modem and the router.

By the way, what is the make and model of the modem?

It could be a combo device and be a router as well.

Reactions: mdfsandman
Jul 25, 2024
I went thru the steps again- shutting everything down and swapping the cables around and restarting in order (as I have tried before) and it worked this time. everything has an IP address in the 192.168.??.?? format and I can link all devices together now! Thank for all the information.

After some more reading I am going to bet the problem is the stupid auto WAN garbage. More crap for people who do not even want to learn anything at all.

It likely works fine when you cable it in the standard method like you now have. When you cable it differently it might think all the ports are lan or it might pick some other port to be wan.

This device would be a nightmare in more advanced setups where you have say a server acting as a dns or dhcp server.