[SOLVED] IP Address Question

Jan 29, 2022
Can you see what IP address an online purchase is from? My card was stolen from someone I know and I was curious if you could see what the IP address that made the purchase was. Would I need to contact my bank, or the service purchased?

Solution
Can you see what IP address an online purchase is from? My card was stolen from someone I know and I was curious if you could see what the IP address that made the purchase was. Would I need to contact my bank, or the service purchased?
No you cannot.

The bank does not know. The retailer likely does not know.
Even if they did, they are no obligation to tell you. But they don't.

File a fraud report with your bank, cancel the card.

USAFRet

Titan
No you cannot.

The bank does not know. The retailer likely does not know.
Even if they did, they are no obligation to tell you. But they don't.

File a fraud report with your bank, cancel the card.

Reactions: kanewolf
Solution
In addition IP tends to be pretty worthless to identify someone. You have the issue of IP addresses being shared by many users on things like cell networks. Now many criminals are stupid but they can easily hide behind things like vpn or even easier use a public hotspot or library.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Technically yes they do have that information, but
a) They have no obligation to share it with you.
b) Unless the user's computer is using an assigned IP, it does not have any meaning. Further information is also stored, and legal authorities can find something, but you can't. And if he/she was using proxy or VPN it is another story.

Contact your bank, contact the online site. These are only things you can do.