iPad Expected to Lose Market Share to Android in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Phenis[/nom]Zak, why is it that you ONLY ever post news about Apple and its endeavors?[/citation]
I could have swore he posted one about windows 8 recently. Maybe I am just mistaken from all the apple news he posts.

nodeffect

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
On tomorrow's news: Android might lose market share to iPad in 2014....
The day after tomorrow: The new Nexus sold more than the new iPad...
Meanwhile: The all new iPhone 6 expect to sell more than all android devices combined...

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... still it's apple... one against all of android... i mean... even if apple had 30% of market share, apple got the profits... but android profits are split on all the android tablet manufacturers... and the mass is achieved with crappy noname android phones and tablets too... so?

Cool! I was interested in Nvidia powered tablet since i heard about it, but those were quite expensive. With so much war among those, i might get myself a tablet later on.... i just dont know what for...
Can you play normal games on tables, or you need a certain format made specificly for tablets?

Having with me something to watch broodwar replays... i like that. Or play dungeon keeper while on a plane...
Or ... well, somthing like that.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nodeffect[/nom]On tomorrow's news: Android might lose market share to iPad in 2014.... The day after tomorrow: The new Nexus sold more than the new iPad... Meanwhile: The all new iPhone 6 expect to sell more than all android devices combined...[/citation]

LOL, Android about double the market share, deluded cultist.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Phenis[/nom]Zak, why is it that you ONLY ever post news about Apple and its endeavors?[/citation]

Not that I care one way or another, but wouldn't it make sense if someone specialized in Apple as their OS and Hardware is vastly different Then, say Windows PCs or Android hardware?
Newspaper reporters specialize too, either in domestic news, foreign news, sports, technology etc.

Just my 3 cents (damn inflation).

[citation][nom]nodeffect[/nom]On tomorrow's news: Android might lose market share to iPad in 2014.... The day after tomorrow: The new Nexus sold more than the new iPad... Meanwhile: The all new iPhone 6 expect to sell more than all android devices combined...[/citation]
IDK what you've been smoking, but please do share some of that sh1t.

[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... still it's apple... one against all of android... i mean... even if apple had 30% of market share, apple got the profits... but android profits are split on all the android tablet manufacturers... and the mass is achieved with crappy noname android phones and tablets too... so?[/citation]
Logic fail on sooo many levels...Since you end with a question allow me to educate you:
-you compare a company with an OS to make the point that one single company makes more profits than others, but it's like saying HP is better that Windows because they made more profits. Completely illogical comparison.
-then you switch 180 degrees and say that the OEMs that use Android have to split said profits, as opposed to Apple, to make the point that Apple is more profitable than any of them. Let alone the fact that the article was not about comparing profits, but market share, you conveniently split the category you have created in the first comparison to use individual components in another comparison vs. the same company (Apple), i.e. you twist your own logic to attain whatever result you deem appropriate.
That is, even if the reality contradicts it, and Android OS global usage is more than twice the iOS usage.

Son, this was too easy. Nice try, though.
Last but not least, since the SGS3 is the best selling phone in the world, I would hardly call that a crappy device from a no-name manufacturer... esp. considering that Apple depends on the same manufacturer for their device's hardware.

[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Cool! I was interested in Nvidia powered tablet since i heard about it, but those were quite expensive. With so much war among those, i might get myself a tablet later on.... i just dont know what for...Can you play normal games on tables, or you need a certain format made specificly for tablets?Having with me something to watch broodwar replays... i like that. Or play dungeon keeper while on a plane...Or ... well, something like that.[/citation]
You need to decide the platform you want to run on your tablet; since you mentioned Nvidia, I would assume you mean Tegra3-based tablets that run Android, so pretty much any game out there on Google Play should run just fine on it.
For travel entertainment I would recommend something along the lines of Nexus 7. Great specs, battery life and timely updates from Google for the foreseeable future.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]"iPad Expected to Lose Market Share to Android in 2013"[/citation]
forgot to add my comment. :)
not say that one is better than the other but, that statement seems wrong.

"ipad" is a single device and "android" is an OS on countless devices.
I am not a fan of apple, but you could stack up the sales of any android tablet (even combine 3 or 4) against the ipad and we all know how the results would be.
Totally different business models and both are successful.
Besides, Open webOS will take over android and iOS in 2056 anyway :)

G

[... still it's apple... one against all of android... i mean... even if apple had 30% of market share, apple got the profits... but android profits are split on all the android tablet manufacturers... and the mass is achieved with crappy noname android phones and tablets too... so?]

That will be the first stage. At this stage, Android has majority of the market share while Apple still able to sell a respectable amount of units and profit per unit is still almost as good as before.

Then come the second stage. As there are more users of Android now, the app ecosystem starts to switch in Android favor as more developers see the bigger market and putting more effort in Android development and less for iOS. Interesting and killer apps start to appear on Android first and only then port to iOS later. This remove the ecosystem advantage of iPad and create a vicious cycle that common users who just want to run some apps they like, starts to abandon iPad and move to Android.

The third stage, as market share of iPad continues to shrink, iPad is no longer considered a status symbol or "premium" product. Those who used to buy iPad because it makes them look cool and feel cool, start to switch as well. Due to there are many buyers of Android products, economy of scale drives the raw material costs down. Android vendor starts to standardize in components and better and faster quality product is made, many are even better than iPad. At the end, only Apple loyalists are left.

G

[Having with me something to watch broodwar replays... i like that. Or play dungeon keeper while on a plane...]

Haha, you specifically mention of two Windows/DOS games betray your intention to run old Windows/DOS games on a tablet. While Android has some DOSBox emulators, the lack of a physical keyboard makes them difficult to play. Even with a bluetooth keyboard, Android does not support some keystrokes that is available in DOS. As for iPad, do not even think about running old DOS games without jailbreaking.

That leave you with, Windows 8. But if you are getting a Windows 8 tablet, why not just get a normal notebook or ultrabook in the first place? At any rate you will still need the keyboard and mouse pad to make it possible to interact with old Windows and DOS games.

So the answer is, forget tablet. Just get a normal notebook for mobile gaming. If you really want to see how touch interface is like, there is always the convertible notebook called Dell XPS 12 duo.

http://i.dell.com/sites/imagecontent/corporate/secure/en/PublishingImages/press-releases/XPS-Duo-12.jpg

G

[citation][... still it's apple... one against all of android... i mean... even if apple had 30% of market share, apple got the profits... but android profits are split on all the android tablet manufacturers... and the mass is achieved with crappy noname android phones and tablets too... so?][/citation]

Yea.. NOONE has ever heard of Samsung, acer, asus, amazon, Google, Toshiba. You sir are a genius.

G

who cares.. when there is one specific android product that out sells an apple product.. please let me know.

etichi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
i like competition and I think Apple has been resting on its laurels a little to much lately. Both prod each other into a better product.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Based on what was mentioned in the article about rumors supposedly causing sales to drop, you might not wonder why companies like keeping these rumored things under-wraps. Even though some of us like reading and knowing of these rumors, I have pondered on the morality around journalists spreading rumors like these, and users like me who share them by Like'ing those articles of rumors and thus spreading the word.

Sorry, just sharing my thoughts. Hehe...

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]IDK what you've been smoking, but please do share some of that sh1t. Logic fail on sooo many levels...Since you end with a question allow me to educate you:-you compare a company with an OS to make the point that one single company makes more profits than others, but it's like saying HP is better that Windows because they made more profits. Completely illogical comparison.-then you switch 180 degrees and say that the OEMs that use Android have to split said profits, as opposed to Apple, to make the point that Apple is more profitable than any of them. Let alone the fact that the article was not about comparing profits, but market share, you conveniently split the category you have created in the first comparison to use individual components in another comparison vs. the same company (Apple), i.e. you twist your own logic to attain whatever result you deem appropriate. That is, even if the reality contradicts it, and Android OS global usage is more than twice the iOS usage.Son, this was too easy. Nice try, though. Last but not least, since the SGS3 is the best selling phone in the world, I would hardly call that a crappy device from a no-name manufacturer... esp. considering that Apple depends on the same manufacturer for their device's hardware.[/citation]
... my logic is from another dimension... maybe you can see why it is...
1) google and nVidia make linux, on witch android is based on, not secure because of code that both companies want to make proprietary and the fallout of that...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gpl-linux-driver,18572.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/linus-torvalds-linux-driver-nvidia-geforce-worst-company,16049.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Malware-Spyware-FBI-Loozfon-FinFisher,18434.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/android-malware-smartphone-avg-virus,16572.html
2) android will gain market share, but with licensing android for noname phone and tablet manufacturers... basically... android is the new windows... but by gaining market share, android tablets and phones will not be held down to some quality standards... you still can get android stuff with 2.xx and no upgrade in sight...
3) and... windows RT and phone will make a little dent, so this could be a small factor too on the market share...
4) and for the profit side... android platform is not profitable... becouse of...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Android-Piracy-DRM-Dead-Trigger-Google-PLAY,16497.html
... you don't even need not to root the android device, to get pirated stuff...
... so? the best stuff will be on iOS first and then on android, may be Windows Phone... it's like games mostly first come out on consoles, then on the PC, because of piracy isues...
... it may be that apple is more expensive, but it works...

... so there are some random and may be off topis points to consider...

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
All I want to know is where is my Intel powered Android tablet. Everything I read said the Razr I pretty muched matched dual core ARMs with 1 core. And Intel has been silent for quite some time since then. Give me a ten-inch high-powered Intel Android tablet, and I'll contribute to the market share expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.