iPad's Market Share Drops, Android Continues Dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
High-end computing tablets with desktop operating systems are not worth a higher premium than other tablets. In fact, a desktop OS has no business on a tablet, and a tablet UI has no place on a desktop. From the users' point of view, a user interface is the OS.

Microsoft wants to push their entire Windows user base into their app walled garden, and they do not care how we'd prefer to use our computers. The only way to stop this is to not buy anything infected with Metro. Looking at Windows 8 and WP8 market share, the market is responding exactly in this way.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]High-end computing tablets with desktop operating systems are not worth a higher premium than other tablets. In fact, a desktop OS has no business on a tablet, and a tablet UI has no place on a desktop. Microsoft wants to push their entire Windows user base into their app walled garden, and they do not care how we'd prefer to use our computers. The only way to stop this is to not buy anything infected with Metro. Looking at Windows 8 and WP8 market share, the market is responding exactly in this way.[/citation]

that + corps are buying up win7 because this is around the time to replace XP for some of them or out of fear of what the future holds in windows.

I might snag another copy of Win7 for my laptop while they are still selling them.

I'm not looking forward to Windows 9 if MS keeps going down this path of "wall them in and charge'em". Too much, too soon for the metro UI (IMO).

twoheart77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I like having the library of applications available to me in the x86 arena on my tablet thank you. I have an android tablet for messing around, however my windows tablet is where its at for productivity. As a programmer and web dev, this may be the driving factor for me owning a windows tablet, people who use it for other purposes I can see your argument about how windows may not be the best os on their tablet. Makes me wonder though, when I apply for a position as web dev or programer in my city, there is well over 10,000 applicants per position. Making me wonder why there is a need for mundane simplified OS's at all.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]High-end computing tablets with desktop operating systems are not worth a higher premium than other tablets. In fact, a desktop OS has no business on a tablet, and a tablet UI has no place on a desktop. From the users' point of view, a user interface is the OS.Microsoft wants to push their entire Windows user base into their app walled garden, and they do not care how we'd prefer to use our computers. The only way to stop this is to not buy anything infected with Metro. Looking at Windows 8 and WP8 market share, the market is responding exactly in this way.[/citation]
The only walled garden is with Windows RT, not Windows 8 desktop, and that is because it runs on an ARM chip.

Microsoft has already said they will not make the x86 version be a walled garden and there is reason to believe them because it would be market suicide for Windows.

The main problem with Windows 8 isn't that it's a bad OS, it seems to be a very good OS with a bad UI. If they added back in the Start button, which it seems as if they will do, and make the desktop the default and allow people the option to go into Metro instead of vice versa the way it is now, Windows 8 would likely see sales skyrocket.

G

as the economy continues to worsen, apple need to learn that less and less people will be able to afford their ridiculously priced products, and they need to learn this, because otherwise, their prices and lack of innovation will drive them into the ground

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]The only walled garden is with Windows RT, not Windows 8 desktop, and that is because it runs on an ARM chip.Microsoft has already said they will not make the x86 version be a walled garden and there is reason to believe them because it would be market suicide for Windows.[/citation]

And why do you think they took the trouble to completely remove the Start Menu and not allow booting straight to desktop? Their plan was always to kill off the desktop completely, with Windows 8 being the interim step. They knew they would lose a good chunk of existing Windows users, but it's totally worth it for them from a financial standpoint. They need only the fanboys who are willing to be locked-in (PC+tablet+mobile), and who are willing to pay for apps and services.

Now that their product line is collapsing, they might reconsider, or at least postpone their plans to legacy the desktop, but it's possible they'll just double down. It's Ballmer, after all

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
wlion can't even use spellcheck. Waht is the wurld coming two.

8 inch tablet seems to be the right size. However I won't be buying another one until there is more storage available. The storage companies rip people off worst than Apple. How much difference is there in making a 4GB card to 256GB card. The big difference would be packaging costs due to the low volume of the 256GB micro sd card.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Decreased marketshare but a the market itself is expanding massively still means its rate of increase for its product is increasing. Which as anyone knows Econ 101 is a really good thing for Apple.
Maintaining an astronomical marketshare as they had is impossible for any company.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]And why do you think they took the trouble to completely remove the Start Menu and not allow booting straight to desktop?[/citation]
Install Classic Shell and you can have your start menu and straight-to-desktop back. That's what I did.

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is the always-on-top taskbar. I have it on auto-hide but every time a window flashes for attention, it just comes right back on top of everything else. Flashing icons are annoying and I do not want to see them unless I summon the taskbar/start-menu. Alas, the option to disable "Taskbar Always on Top" has been taken away in Win7 and is still missing in Win8.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I'm confused, don't most of Zak Islam's articles say the opposite? That the iPad is by far the dominate force among tablets?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer Android over Apple, especially with the horrendous patent trolling habit Apple has developed. I'm just confused on how Zak Islam's articles can be so contradictory with each other!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Maintaining an astronomical marketshare as they had is impossible for any company.[/citation]

I beg to troll. Microsoft has maintained 90% market share in the desktop and laptop OS field for 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.