iPhone 5S Will Have Multiple Screen Sizes, Colors in June?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]@wemakeourfuture.Really? I think you are holding it wrong. Users can update through Samsung kies. It is the carriers that hold back on updating. Note 1 is getting Jelly Bean..... next? Siri doesn't run on the iphone 4? really? It ran fine when it was an app on iTunes. Apple buys it and all of a sudden, they invented it! I spent an hour on the phone with Apple trying to get iTunes to work across 3 HTPC's with one iTunes account. 3 different geniuses couldn't make it "just work" They then blamed my computers. I put 3 fresh installs on new partitions. After updating, with no other software installed, it still didn't work. I now use Zune pass and have over 6000 songs for $100/year. I could choose to use zune pass like iTunes and purchase songs for less money than iTunes. The new iTunes looks like a total rip off of zune. I have been building computers since the first Pentium so I might know more than the average guy. Apple is the Jehovah witnesses of the tech world. They market to elitists and to the ignorant. It is unfortunate that those two groups are as large as they are. If the note 2 is too large..... that is fair, large phones may not be for everyone. The note 2 takes a few days to get used to. The S2 is a better buy for the screen alone. Super AMOLED (especially non pentile) is vastly superior to LCD. The note 2 has 20 times the contrast ratio of the iphone 5. Apple may have provided you with good service, but they insult their users intelligence in so many ways.Believe me, Apple won't be getting any android user back if they don't change. If Apple made a product that I wanted and I felt it was a good value compared to the competition, I would consider buying it. I bought my wife an iphone 4 when it first came out. I thought that it may be easier to teach her ios. The iphone 4 is not a bad choice when you compare it to a galaxy s. The S2 walks all over it. Forget about the S3 or the note 2. With Apple's shenanigans the apple product would have to be vastly superior in order for me to consider supporting the likes of Apple. Currently Apple is simply falling further and further behind with every new release.[/citation]

1. Note 1 getting JB, cool, JB is 6 months old, ewww. hate to be a Note 1 users have a phone that's not even that old and wait forever to just get an update.

2. Samsung and other manufacturers do not give a crap about updates, if they did they would have done what Apple did and prevent carriers from adding bloatware and allowing updates at the manufacturers discretion. They simply are not fighting for their customers and the actual years of support for devices is dreadful.

3. I do agree with you assessment Apple needs to step up their product lines, their refreshes need to be more compelling.

4. I have a relative and his friend (Engineering student) who both have the Note 2, the later uses his phone a lot more than the first and has to charge his phone twice as often as his iPhone with equal usage. He knows wants to get on the newest update, carrier is holding him back now he's gotta root and go through the whole manual process of updating.

5. There's more to a screen than just contrast, I won't even get into the details of the numerous screen comparisons of the iPhone 5 and S3, there's 100s online that shows the pluses and minuses of each.

6. I have also been tinkering with computers since my first 486, I have never purchased a Mac computer, nor do I plan on it. I have been forced to use it at work for a year or so, adjusted to it, lived off the Unix command line, but switched to a Windows 7 machine as soon as I could. However, for their mobile products, for my utility Apple provides the best products to suit my needs. The actual price difference for a S3 and an iPhone 5 is negligible, at best $50-$100. As for tablets same is true, the actual price difference is relatively small. Its not costing an arm and a leg. The percentage difference in cost between apple computers however is quite substantial. As for mobile, what I really care about is:

- update support, 3 years of good quality updates
- quality apps (say what you want, we all know iOS apps come out first, there's more, the developers prefer it, there's better apps). For my iPad there's way more and better apps designed for tablets, Android is still lacking on tablets
- iMessage, I travel, easy to contact the wife with free messages, even pictures and video, all embedded in the operating system, no third-party B.S. whose terms of service and privacy I don't have to be paranoid about
- Game Center, this is just a great way to play against people in apps
- customer service, even under contact, even if its my fault, I know I can walk into an Apple store, get hassle free help, without having to go site / call center, get an RMA, pay for shipping, wait 30 days, get my device fixed/checked, etc, etc.
- no bloatware on my phone, I have zero carrier garbage on my phone

Once Android has addressed these, I would have zero hesitation getting one.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]@wemakeourfuture.Really? I think you are holding it wrong. Users can update through Samsung kies. It is the carriers that hold back on updating. Note 1 is getting Jelly Bean..... next? Siri doesn't run on the iphone 4? really? It ran fine when it was an app on iTunes. Apple buys it and all of a sudden, they invented it! I spent an hour on the phone with Apple trying to get iTunes to work across 3 HTPC's with one iTunes account. 3 different geniuses couldn't make it "just work" They then blamed my computers. I put 3 fresh installs on new partitions. After updating, with no other software installed, it still didn't work. I now use Zune pass and have over 6000 songs for $100/year. I could choose to use zune pass like iTunes and purchase songs for less money than iTunes. The new iTunes looks like a total rip off of zune. I have been building computers since the first Pentium so I might know more than the average guy. Apple is the Jehovah witnesses of the tech world. They market to elitists and to the ignorant. It is unfortunate that those two groups are as large as they are. If the note 2 is too large..... that is fair, large phones may not be for everyone. The note 2 takes a few days to get used to. The S2 is a better buy for the screen alone. Super AMOLED (especially non pentile) is vastly superior to LCD. The note 2 has 20 times the contrast ratio of the iphone 5. Apple may have provided you with good service, but they insult their users intelligence in so many ways.Believe me, Apple won't be getting any android user back if they don't change. If Apple made a product that I wanted and I felt it was a good value compared to the competition, I would consider buying it. I bought my wife an iphone 4 when it first came out. I thought that it may be easier to teach her ios. The iphone 4 is not a bad choice when you compare it to a galaxy s. The S2 walks all over it. Forget about the S3 or the note 2. With Apple's shenanigans the apple product would have to be vastly superior in order for me to consider supporting the likes of Apple. Currently Apple is simply falling further and further behind with every new release.[/citation]

As someone who's first computer was a Sinclair and has built his own PCs since the 486SX-33 I built to play games I take a bit of umbrage with your comments about Apple.

I have to use both PCs and Mac's on a day to day basis, my personal machine is a Mac - Why?
Because, it simply works and gets the hell out of the way - If I need to do something serious - I can open up a shell and do command line unix commands.

I own a Google Nexus 7 and for the most part I love it but it falls far short of the iPad 2 (I also use) - Bluetooth doesn't work or barely works - I am in the process of sending it back in hopes they can make it work with a Jambox and Creative Labs Zii sound (both of which work well with iPhones, Dells, and a Macbook Air). Google has a great idea but it needs to polish it up for a lot of the general population that doesn't have the time or patience to fiddle like we do. Honestly, I'd rather be out with friends, on a date, or playing games than trying to make stuff work.

Google needs to fix its agreements with carriers so they don't block updates. Google's responsible for writing the licence that allows the carriers to block updates - If they changed that the carriers have to follow it.

Having a phone that's less than a year old that doesn't get updates should be criminal. Apple doesn't do this - they don't do a fantastic job but they are doing a much better job and a phone that gets updates means it works better. For my mom, 95% of my family and friends this is a better system. You have no idea how many times I've had to root friends Android phones (because they didn't have the knowledge) so they could get ICS - It should be criminal for a phone that's a year old.

Google also needs to do some policing of the Android Store - it's full of crap and mal/ad ware - NO, they don't need to be as crazy as Apple but making it the wild west scares away people.

I have just as many friends who wont buy an Android phone because they are tired of the stupid update system that Google created and now has become the standard. They are also frustrated with poor apps on the Google Store.

I love the Nexus 7 and I think there's a place for Google and Apple to compete, but to win, they need to fix quite a few things as well...

Sent from my Nexus 7

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]As someone who's first computer was a Sinclair and has built his own PCs since the 486SX-33 I built to play games I take a bit of umbrage with your comments about Apple.I have to use both PCs and Mac's on a day to day basis, my personal machine is a Mac - Why?Because, it simply works and gets the hell out of the way - If I need to do something serious - I can open up a shell and do command line unix commands.I own a Google Nexus 7 and for the most part I love it but it falls far short of the iPad 2 (I also use) - Bluetooth doesn't work or barely works - I am in the process of sending it back in hopes they can make it work with a Jambox and Creative Labs Zii sound (both of which work well with iPhones, Dells, and a Macbook Air). Google has a great idea but it needs to polish it up for a lot of the general population that doesn't have the time or patience to fiddle like we do. Honestly, I'd rather be out with friends, on a date, or playing games than trying to make stuff work.Google needs to fix its agreements with carriers so they don't block updates. Google's responsible for writing the licence that allows the carriers to block updates - If they changed that the carriers have to follow it.Having a phone that's less than a year old that doesn't get updates should be criminal. Apple doesn't do this - they don't do a fantastic job but they are doing a much better job and a phone that gets updates means it works better. For my mom, 95% of my family and friends this is a better system. You have no idea how many times I've had to root friends Android phones (because they didn't have the knowledge) so they could get ICS - It should be criminal for a phone that's a year old.Google also needs to do some policing of the Android Store - it's full of crap and mal/ad ware - NO, they don't need to be as crazy as Apple but making it the wild west scares away people. I have just as many friends who wont buy an Android phone because they are tired of the stupid update system that Google created and now has become the standard. They are also frustrated with poor apps on the Google Store.I love the Nexus 7 and I think there's a place for Google and Apple to compete, but to win, they need to fix quite a few things as well...Sent from my Nexus 7[/citation]

I do agree that Google needs to fix their upgrading system. My initial point was that Apple needs to provide a better phone to keep up with the droids. The note 2's screen is considerably better than the S3 or the iphone 5. All you have to do is watch one video taken with the phone. specs be damned, it just looks better. While I appreciate many things about OSx, I will have to stick with Windows due to gaming and media center (media center since 2004). OSx has nothing for me in that respect. iTunes has left a bad taste in my mouth after dealing with a bunch of geniuses that would rather read off of FAQ's than listen to me. I was the only network admin guy in a office with 30 macs and 25 PC's. So I am well versed with both systems.

While there is plenty of room for Google to improve, the argument that ios has better apps is not really a valid one. Any app worth having is available on 3 platforms. And any app worth having will work fine on all 3 platforms. Google does need to police their app store better... I agree with that.

My second point is that Apple has an arrogance about them that is rarely seen in a company. They blame the user for a simple thing like antennagate. I would respect a company who would man up and accept responsibility. They feel that they can borrow and steal ideas... as most companies do, but when a company borrows an Apple concept. They feel the need to go thermonuclear on the offender. Apple displays a high level of sociopath behavior that is disturbing. When my six year old computer beat my friend's new imac at encoding and burning a dvd, my friend (who loves everything apple) looked like a 5 year old that was told that Santa wasn't real. That is some kind of hold that Apple has on some people.
Reality can be a tough pill to swallow.
While you seem logical, my friend and many apple users are not. He lost a bet with me about the iphone 5 being the thinnest smart phone. He couldn't understand how Apple could say it if it wasn't true. I laughed.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Dude if it's unlocked, I'll buy it from you - It's worth like $700-800+ A bit more than the "proper phone" you're wanting to purchase it for, LMAO[/citation]
Already traded it for a new windows phone + $150 today while I was out. All it took was a trip to the local Uni coffee shop, and shouting that I had one for trade. Lol. Sorry for getting your hopes up. :p

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]Already traded it for a new windows phone + $150 today while I was out. All it took was a trip to the local Uni coffee shop, and shouting that I had one for trade. Lol. Sorry for getting your hopes up.[/citation]

LOL, if anything Apple's resale value makes it a great purchase. I sold my 2 year old iPhone 4 and it payed for the upgrade to the 5.

Enjoy the Nokia Windows phone. I hope they do a better job with the UI than the desktop version of the OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Make a brown iPhone, maybe customers will get the clue about what they're buying.[/citation]
Mine comes out black. I guess I should get checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.