iPhone 6 Could Be the Biggest iPhone Yet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Who says larger screens aren't practical? Larger "phones" are what they mean. I could see Apple making the next iPhone the exact same size as the current 5S, but enlarging the screen so it covers almost the entire face of the phone.

Bigger screen, same sized phone.

UVB076

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I feel like the iPhone's smaller screen gives it an advantage in terms of filling it's own niche, as the only high end phone that actually fits in your hand.

musikman337

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Folk who sayn Android is buggy, slag etc. compared to iOS which is not...really need to get their heads checked. I had every iphn up to the 6 and im not at all impressed. 99.8% of the features they introduced with os7 ...Android been on since way back. PLUS the same bugs that Android experiences(ed) on a here and there basis is the same that appl and did and most likely still does frm time to time. So much for how "smart" (no disrespect) stv jobs was in sayn NOBODY would buy bigg phones. Proud former S-S4, N1- to current N3 owner here

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
honestly what is the point??? If you have a family of 4 you are looking at min of 200 dollars a month for just 500mb shared. That's insane. If wireless carries are going to charge an arm and a leg for service it defeats the purpose of buying any smart phone. Tmobile is the cheapest but their overall coverage sucks especially indoors. I can't see how anyone can be excited about new phones with these crappy plans being offered. I will be buying a flip phone instead.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
All I can say is...
Apple says:
"Plastic is cheap" until "Plastic perfected"
"Users don't want large screens, they suck too much power and want something that fits comfortably in their hands" until "Users are thrilled and looking forward to a larger screen with better resolution for a much sharper new Retina display exclude to Apple alone!"
"We innovate" until "See your ass in court!"

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I am yet to see any of my friends with iphones that don't type with both hands in contact with the phone. I have honestly never seen a person normally type with just one finger - and it would just be the thumb, if holding it with one hand, right?

Not on an iPhone, at least. I can't use a standard touch keyboard, so I have MessagEase installed on my Nexus 4; that lets a person use either 2 fingers or just one for input - and you can get world record speeds too :D

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I can see Apple releasing a larger iPhone alongside their 4" model, but a lot of iPhone users prefer the smaller footprint. I'm pretty happy with my Nexus 4, but I would much prefer something 4"-4.3".

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I can see Apple releasing a larger iPhone alongside their 4" model, but a lot of iPhone users prefer the smaller footprint. I'm pretty happy with my Nexus 4, but I would much prefer something 4"-4.3".

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
If I have to re position my hand to reach anything on the screen, the phones a fail in my book. 4-4.3" for me.

get bigger hands then.

I personally can't use small on-screen keyboards with my fat fingers. just because its not for you doesn't mean that its not perfect for someone else. I use my note 3 with 1 hand easily and don't have to squint and go crosseyed to read web pages.

TommyTanker

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
You have to question the intelligence of blind loyal iPhone brand followers who have just paid top dollar for a copy of a previous version. Yet with weeks of the release start yearning for a bigger and better phone. A fool and his money are easily parted.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I have a Note 1 and use it one-handed like a phone as I have very large hands. People are not one-size-fits-all so thanks goodness there manufacturers that make different size phones so we can get something that works for us. My wife is small and absolutely hates the Note and loves her Iphone 5c. No offense, but it is just a matter of personal taste and nothing more.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

What? You sir have never held an iPhone and an s4 side by side. One has cheap, slimy, creaky plastic and the other is cold smooth aluminum. The iPhone 5 has more premium hardware. There's just no debate on that.

I'm just going to say that's all very subjective. Despite an "impressive" aluminium frame, the iPhone can't come anywhere close to the abuse my "cheap plastic" Android phone has survived. I don't like the form factor and the software on an iPhone is a huge inhibition to a quality product for me.

I prefer plastic to metal; it's cheaper and I frankly have yet to see how aluminium helps the iPhone survive drops with its patented iShatter screen. Let's not forget that using plastic lets me get an amazing experience with great specs at a legitimate third of the price of an iPhone.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I love how Apple always responds with "stupid" and "impractical" statements when the industry inquires about going toe to toe with Samsung on increasing screen size, CPU horsepower, etc... But once they jump on the bandwagon, then it's innovative, right?

actsai

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I have no problem with 5 inch, given screen shatters no matter which size I keep it in a man-purse. My style of using these things puts bigger screen equates better, assuming battery life improvement goes hand in hand. I have trouble single-hand operate even 2 inches, I need hold it pencil-pad 2 hands, and that could go as big as 5.5 inch no problem.

Apple clearly lose out on screens along; Retina Displays a UK reviewer put it a Googlized DPI number and it is pitiful compare to top of the line Androids (MHO is actually other way around; RD pretty much defines human capabilities and higher is just waste) smaller screens, wrong Aspect Ratios and size (10 inch is too big for one hand), and many other unrelated wrongs I can attribute to Apple iProducts.

LOL. You've recognized yourself in that description, didn't you, and that famous "backpack" phrase of yours came to hit you right in the back of your head.
All you need to make sure now is that the door doesn't hit you in the rear on your way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.