iPhone is First Choice For Workplace Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
|random thought| i wonder how a tag-team match with gruener and islam on one side and ...anyone on the other would go....

n0manarmy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Proving that no matter how good the IT team is, the guys in suits get to choose their phones.[/citation]

And they will still have a thousand questions about them :(

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Proving that no matter how good the IT team is, the guys in suits get to choose their phones.[/citation]
Any "good" IT department that actually spends time analyzing iOS and Android would pick iOS. Like Halliburton, for example.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
This is our company's phone of choice. I ask my IT manager to consider Windows phone. In the end, the iPhones go to the users and are fairly easy to use so this makes sense.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Sorry, I configure iDevices for work. They are a pain. But then again, so are Android devices but not as much as iDevices. Yes, for the sales guy that knows nothing about phones, the iPhone is better. It's easier to train on. One thing I frequently come across is that sometimes the sales guy's phone gets messed up while he's on the road. When we were using Android phones, they can just take their SD card out of their old phone and put it in their new phone, download the apps, and all the settings are there. It's not the same with an iPhone. The settings are forever lost and the sales guys would have to call me to walk them through configuring their phone again.

Yes, I know that nowadays most phones don't come with micro SD anymore, but still, all your settings are saved to your Google account. If you lose your phone or switch phones, all you have to do is enter in your Google information and most of everything comes back. iCloud is not the same. It's too limited on what you can back up.

Most of the sales guys here are old and need a bigger screen to see (sorry for stereotyping). The iPhone 5 screen is still too small and the keyboard sucks because they always fat finger when they text. But the company just made the switch to all iPhones because of a particular app (not gonna say, but it is available for Android, just not Android 4.0 and above). The reactions from the sales team has been mixed. Half of them don't use the iPhone and still use their own personal Android phones. The other half don't really care because it's a company provided phone.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Any "good" IT department that actually spends time analyzing iOS and Android would pick iOS. Like Halliburton, for example.[/citation]
So you're saying that any IT department that went with Android or any other OS aren't good because they choose differently from you?

Also this article has nothing to do what IT departments choosen but with BYOD.

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Proud to say that my office bucks that trend. There are only 2 Iphone users (1 now) in our office, one of which we just recently converted to Droid and the other wanting to. Of the Droids, I'd say 80% are Galaxy variants (S3's, Tabs and Notes 1 and 2). Sorry Apple, we got no love for you up in here!

Actually, we just hired 4 new people. They might have Iphones, not sure. If they do though, we'll convert 'em ;)

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
My company prefers iPhones and they have worked great. We also offer BB and Droids yet iPhones remain dominant. At this point it is hilarious fan boy'ism to say iDevices are toys. We do have our Droid fans as well and love their S IIIs which is cool too. I stick to my iPhone since I am loving the fact that the US is relevant in the consumer electronics market.

game junky

Distinguished
Not sure whether to point to low-cost of iPhone when purchased on contract or the ease of connecting and disconnecting from an exchange environment. Either way, it's not that surprising.

As long as my employer never tries to replace my laptop with an iPad, Apple and I will get along just fine. Use the right tool for the right job...

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
iPhone 5s for my staff after previously having the 4 so my IT hero status has been renewed. They're easy to learn and they don't require rebooting or rooting to make them work.

However, they are a pain to manage on the IT side. Lot of "gotchas." Much of it to do with iTunes, which is the one thing I really despise.

People hate Apple because it's "cool" to and somehow being an Android user puts you on a higher plane of intelligence for some reason.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]The only devices my company won't allow in the work place or more to the point connect to the network are Android based devices due to all the security holes and malware.[/citation]

I'm sorry, but if they're banning Android then they should ban iOS, Windows, and OSX too. Nothing special about android for the last few years.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]The only devices my company won't allow in the work place or more to the point connect to the network are Android based devices due to all the security holes and malware.[/citation]

And this is the thinking that gets iPhone "ahead". It's already locked down. It's one device so quicker to setup. And iOS is old and doesnt change or improve much. And to SOME extent it actually used to make sense because it used to have decent market share.

Decent IT departments support most top Android models but it will always take corporate time to adjust. If you're forced to BYOD and all that's supported is iPhone you're stuck till you company supports central remote wipe, control, and encryption on Android.

Top Android devices are clearly better. The galaxy S2 and S3 support hardware encryption and pretty much every remote admin feature. Even come with Cisco VPN. It's a shame your IT department is so far behind. But then BYOD is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.