IPS glow. Good or bad?

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Hello,

I recently placed an order for a refurbished Dell U3415W monitor. However it was brought to my attention that the monitor has some minor IPS glow (that's the only problem with it). So I asked the retailer to send me some pictures showing the problem. Now I don't think it's that bad, but obviously it's good to get a second opinion. So what do you guys think? Is it an acceptable amount of glow or not?

Here's an image of it a dark room:

frontdarkroom_1600x1064.JPG

And here's an image of it in a dimly lit room (ignore the bright spot towards the middle of the screen at the top edge, that's just a reflection.):

frontlowlight_1600x1064.JPG

Solution
At a brightness level setting of 28 it's quite acceptable.

75 would be way too bright and will adversely effect colour accuracy.

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

According to the retailer Dell confirmed with them that this monitor is well within their (Dell's) acceptable parameters for a brand new monitor straight off the factory.

Perhaps I got the two mixed up. In that case would you find this an acceptable amount of BLB for a monitor?

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

So would you say that this amount of backlight bleed is really bad?

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Yeah, the price is good and there's no other issues with the monitor (according to the retailer anyway). It's about £100 cheaper than buying a brand new monitor, it comes with a three-year warranty, and the customer service I've received so far has been very good. I'll probably keep it, after all I can always send it back and receive a full refund if I'm not satisfied. But would minor backlight bleeding like this cause me any problems in the future, and it's only visible on a dark background correct?

Some people go nuts over this, some don't. If you can accept it, that's what matters. How many black screens are you planning to be looking at? If you're watching a movie or playing a game, are you more involved in looking for defects in the screen or are you focused on the story or action and oblivious to the flaws?

Personally, I would say your example photos look pretty decent. The back light bleed that's been pointed out and the glow are easily tolerable, but that's only my opinion. It's going to be hard to find an LCD monitor that can eliminate back light glow without some form of back light control, such as dimming or turning it off for black areas. It's hard to change the nature of LCD technology, and I'm not sure how you're going to manufacture an LCD panel without some modicum of pixel pitch.

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Thanks for that. I just sent them an email asking for that exact picture.

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

I think the on-screen display setting should be set to 75 for brightness, at least that's what Dell's factory calibration is for this model. I'll ask them to send images with the brightness to 0 (or the lowest value), 25, 50, 75 and 100.

Edit: Also according to the review here, to get a luminance value of 50cd/m2 they had to set the brightness value via the on-screen display to 9. I don't know if this is completely different for every monitor, or if it helps, but I just thought I'd share that piece of information.

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
Various degrees of IPS glow you'll have on ANY IPS screen. Regarding the backlight bleed you have in the corners, I have a slight bleed in the right corner too, but I got used to it - I don't even see it, since I rarely use a completely black screen. I would be more worried about fine-tuning the colors, for best possible accuracy.

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Wow! I've sent an email requesting some more pictures. Specifically pictures showing the monitor at a brightness setting of 0, 25, 28, 50, 75 and 100. Along with pictures of the monitor from different angles. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow with the pictures, and once they do I'll post them in here.

Thanks for the help ko888, it's greatly appreciated.

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
So the place I ordered the monitor from sent me the pictures I requested.

0 brightness:
frontdarkroom0b_1600x1064.JPG

25 brightness:
frontdarkroom25b_1600x1064.JPG

28 brightness (different angles of the monitor as well):
frontdarkroom28b_1600x1064.JPG

frontdarkroom28brotateleft_1600x1064.JPG

frontdarkroom28brotateright_1600x1064.JPG

50 brightness:
frontdarkroom50b_1600x1064.JPG

100 brightness:
frontdarkroom100b_1600x1064.JPG

All the pictures have a contrast setting of 75 by the way, and all previous pictures had a brightness setting of 75. This is what the guy said about the pictures in in his email...

"Our engineers advised that there is still an element of overexposure going on, which is pretty much unavoidable given our available equipment and the conditions. You can see this clearly on some of the OSD shots, that appear much brighter than they naturally would. As before this will have the result of exaggerating the backlight issue, so you are seeing it in the worst possible way (which I suppose is ideal, as that won’t be how you use the monitor daily)."

So what do you guys think? I think it looks pretty good, but as I've said before it's always good to get a second opinion.

HarveyDG

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Haha! I actually ordered it prior to opening this thread, but I held back on payment because I wanted to see some pictures of the issues they mentioned. However after seeing all these pictures I sent payment, and told them to dispatch the monitor (it should arrive tomorrow). After all if (once I've seen it in person) I'm not happy with the monitor, I can always just send it back and receive a refund.

Thanks for the help PsyKhiqZero, and of course everyone else.