IPS Panel vs 3D-Capable TN Panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benator

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Hi all,

I'm one of many I'm sure who are stuck between choosing features for a monitor. Specifically, I am having trouble deciding between the PG278Q (ROG Swift- http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C) and the Acer XB270HU (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UPVXDA8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza), both 27" monitors. My main purpose in purchasing is for gaming, so I'd like to know from people who have experience in the area; Is IPS or 3D vision a better experience and why? I mainly play FPS games.

Thank you!

Solution
3D is good and all, but because you have to pay for the vision kit, it's just not worth it. Because already you want to have 3D out of the box, which is not what you will be getting. Definitely IPS over TN, there should be no question here. The only reason to ever buy a TN monitor over IPS, is if the TN runs at 144 Hz. Because a cheap TN and an average IPS are about the same price.

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Do you actually play or want to play 3D games? You also have to buy the nvidia 3D vision kit for another $100+ to be able to use 3D. There's also the issue that not every game is 3D-compatible. In fact pretty much all new games nowadays do not ship with 3D vision support, and require user-made mods to work with 3D.

The IPS panel, on the other hand, will give you better viewing angles under all circumstances.

Personally I would choose the Acer for the IPS panel. 3D doesn't necessarily fit well with FPS games - it's actually much easier to aim when everything on the screen is in the same plane of focus.

3D is good and all, but because you have to pay for the vision kit, it's just not worth it. Because already you want to have 3D out of the box, which is not what you will be getting. Definitely IPS over TN, there should be no question here. The only reason to ever buy a TN monitor over IPS, is if the TN runs at 144 Hz. Because a cheap TN and an average IPS are about the same price.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.