News Iris Xe Max Graphics: The Beefy Tiger Lake iGPU Intel May Be Hiding

I never understood why Intel always shuffled Iris into CPUs that were usually paired up with a discrete GPU anyway.

Mostly power savings. The iGPU uses less power than the dGPU so in 2D situations having the dGPU turned off or in a low power state gives for better battery life for normal tasks.

With this new iGPU though they might be able to remove the dGPU from more models which will allow for lighter, thiner and more power light designs in laptops.

I actually hope this starts a new iGPU war and we see iGPUs start to perform much better than before.

Mostly power savings. The iGPU uses less power than the dGPU so in 2D situations having the dGPU turned off or in a low power state gives for better battery life for normal tasks.
I get that idea for laptop designs in general, but I've seen situations where a lower-end CPU, like an i3 or a U series processor, is paired up with a potato GPU like an MX130 or MX150. I feel like the GPU is just there to make the laptop more appealing for the uninitiated because "if it has a dGPU, surely it must be good!"