[SOLVED] IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Computer Crash

Dood76

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2013
Here is the link to the minidump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cUyYUfN0j4-OZjRHIwf_5L2O5uN_vXxm/view?usp=sharing

I have been having an issue where I am crashing with either a BSOD saying "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", or the screen just turns black, makes a buzzing sound, and then restarts. I tested all my RAM sticks and even purchased new RAM, but the issue still persists. I have also ran Display Driver Uninstaller and Re-Install my GPU drivers.

This issue mainly happens when I am playing a video games (such as Valorant or Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga).

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KS
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: Asus Z390-I
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 C18
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC
PSU: Corsair RMx 850 W

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I removed the Elgato Game HD60S driver and the Bluestacks driver but am still having the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash. I also updated several of my other drivers.
Here is the new minidump file, thanks: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cUyYUfN0j4-OZjRHIwf_5L2O5uN_vXxm/view?usp=sharing
same bugcheck, elgato game driver still installed.
looks like something is trying to directly write to a file after the file is closed.
the checksums have been removed from 3 of your core windows user mode drivers.
(win32k.sys, win32kfull.sys win32kbase.sys)
sometimes scanners will access a file after it is closed but they would not be attempting to write to it.
winring0x64.sys from 2013 installed. this tool gets attacked by malware and...
Here is the link to the minidump file: https://file.io/NlY6zkV58yIt

I have been having an issue where I am crashing with either a BSOD saying "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", or the screen just turns black, makes a buzzing sound, and then restarts. I tested all my RAM sticks and even purchased new RAM, but the issue still persists. I have also ran Display Driver Uninstaller and Re-Install my GPU drivers.

This issue mainly happens when I am playing a video games (such as Valorant or Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga).

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks!
minidump file has been deleted.

Dood76

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2013
Does the issue crop up only when you're taxing the system, not on idle? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Best list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
It tends to happen when I'm taxing the system, but my temps seem fine. For A PSU, I have the Corsair RMx 850W and have had it for two years. Updated PC specs in original post.

bugcheck in AFD.sys this component handles network/windows sockets.
it is not clear as which driver caused the problem but it is likely to be cause by your bluestacks driver or your Elgato Game Capture HD60 S driver. I can not tell since AFD was doing some delayed cleanup.

I would remove the software drivers or update them if you are still using them. Then retest.

Note: you have several other drivers that are old or uncommon but the two above drivers are more likely to be the source of this issue.

Dood76

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2013
bugcheck in AFD.sys this component handles network/windows sockets.
it is not clear as which driver caused the problem but it is likely to be cause by your bluestacks driver or your Elgato Game Capture HD60 S driver. I can not tell since AFD was doing some delayed cleanup.

I would remove the software drivers or update them if you are still using them. Then retest.

Note: you have several other drivers that are old or uncommon but the two above drivers are more likely to be the source of this issue.
I removed the Elgato Game HD60S driver and the Bluestacks driver but am still having the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash. I also updated several of my other drivers.
Here is the new minidump file, thanks: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cUyYUfN0j4-OZjRHIwf_5L2O5uN_vXxm/view?usp=sharing

looks like something is trying to directly write to a file after the file is closed.
sometimes scanners will access a file after it is closed but they would not be attempting to write to it.
winring0x64.sys from 2013 installed. this tool gets attacked by malware and should no longer be used.

this could be a bug in any of the network 3rd party software you have running.

it could be a bug in the new afunix.sys (this is the first time I have seen someone actually use it)

I count 31 suspect drivers on your system, and 3 modified windows core files.
this problem looks like a bug and I would run autoruns.exe and
prevent cy3014.x86.sys and elgatovad.sys from running and see if you still bugcheck.

you might also run cmd.exe as an admin then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
in the hopes of repairing your 3 windows core files.

I would remove the winring0x64.sys software just because malware use it to hack the system.

did you install some software for linux? just trying to figure out what was using a unix socket. windows af_unix does not support some socket types. if you run a tool that creates a socket for a linux datagram, I could see how afd.sys could have a bug that would cause this bugcheck.

edit:
just looked at info for linux subsystem for windows.
lots of potential for bugs

Last edited:
Solution

Dood76

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2013
winring0x64.sys from 2013 installed. this tool gets attacked by malware and should no longer be used.

this could be a bug in any of the network 3rd party software you have running.

it could be a bug in the new afunix.sys (this is the first time I have seen someone actually use it)

I count 31 suspect drivers on your system, and 3 modified windows core files.
this problem looks like a bug and I would run autoruns.exe and
prevent cy3014.x86.sys and elgatovad.sys from running and see if you still bugcheck.

you might also run cmd.exe as an admin then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
in the hopes of repairing your 3 windows core files.

I would remove the winring0x64.sys software just because malware use it to hack the system.

did you install some software for linux? just trying to figure out what was using a unix socket. windows af_unix does not support some socket types. if you run a tool that creates a socket for a linux datagram, I could see how afd.sys could have a bug that would cause this bugcheck.

edit:
just looked at info for linux subsystem for windows.
lots of potential for bugs
That seems to have fixed it, thanks! Do you know why the Elgato Game Driver was causing issues as I would still like to use my Elgato capture card.