Jul 6, 2024
Hello, so basically my problem is, in my PC I have a 1tb m.2 and a 2tb m.2. Windows is installed on the 1tb. In the bios my 1tb shows as normal but my 2tb shows up as 2.1GB if IRST is disabled. If IRST is ENABLED then it’s shows up in the BIOS as 2048GB but when I go to boot windows it crashes and I get the inaccessible_boot_device error.

I cannot for the life of me boot into windows with both the drives working and recognised. If I boot into a recovery media like HirensBCD then both these drives show up as their correct sizes etc but as soon as I try to boot normally then I get the crash and can’t do anything without disabling IRST.

Any ideas? If any information will help just let me know

I bought the 2tb device last weekend so windows has never been on it. I’ve not even managed to get it working yet so it’s still a brand new drive.

I9-14900kf
4080 Super
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
1TB Corsair MP600 PRO
2TB Corsair MP600 PRO
That's weird. Have you tried a repair using Media creation tool?

Create a bootable USB, and boot to it. Choose repair option from the screen. Let it do it's thing.

Jul 6, 2024
That's weird. Have you tried a repair using Media creation tool?

Create a bootable USB, and boot to it. Choose repair option from the screen. Let it do it's thing.
Yeah that’s one of the first things I tried. I boot into the windows recovery environment, select the start up repair and it says the at it can not repair my pc. There’s no system restore points for me to choose from as I’ve literally just installed the OS on my 1tb drive.

As I said in the post though, when I go onto something like HirensBCD or Spotmau or some other bootable recovery media both drives will show as correct in the Disk Managment as long as IRST is enabled. But as soon as I try to boot normally my PC crashes with that error code. And as always as soon as it’s DISABLED it boots up like nothings wrong 🙃

Yeah that’s one of the first things I tried. I boot into the windows recovery environment, select the start up repair and it says the at it can not repair my pc. There’s no system restore points for me to choose from as I’ve literally just installed the OS on my 1tb drive.

As I said in the post though, when I go onto something like HirensBCD or Spotmau or some other bootable recovery media both drives will show as correct in the Disk Managment as long as IRST is enabled. But as soon as I try to boot normally my PC crashes with that error code. And as always as soon as it’s DISABLED it boots up like nothings wrong 🙃
Were both drives connected when you did the reinstall of windows?

Have you much data on either drives? If not, I'd prob go the route of windows resinstall with just the 1tb drive connected. Then add the other drive when finished installing. You may have tried that already.

Jul 6, 2024
Were both drives connected when you did the reinstall of windows?

Have you much data on either drives? If not, I'd prob go the route of windows resinstall with just the 1tb drive connected. Then add the other drive when finished installing. You may have tried that already.
I haven’t tried that yet. How would that make a difference? (Isn’t meant to sound sarcastic I’m just curious how that would work as I’m not massively clued on with PCs) So disconnect the problematic 2tb drive and then reinstall windows and then insert the 2tb after?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I haven’t tried that yet. How would that make a difference? (Isn’t meant to sound sarcastic I’m just curious how that would work as I’m not massively clued on with PCs) So disconnect the problematic 2tb drive and then reinstall windows and then insert the 2tb after?
Yes. Precisely.

So, normally I owuldn't expect the issue you're having, unless Windows was installed on the new drive, whilct the original was still in the system. This messes up the MBR (Master boot record). Sometimes rebuilding the MBR can fix that. Often the easiest solution is to disconnec one drive, do a fresh OS install. Boot up/shut down, and then add the second drive in.

This is not your problem, but I'm just wondering if it might help. COuld be a bit of bios craziness going on. As a matter of interest have you updated the bios during this process?

Try this and see if it helps:

1. Repair MBR in Windows 10/8/8.1​

Step 1. Boot from the recovery USB or the original installation DVD.

Step 2. Move to the install screen, and click Repair your computer.

repair your computer

Step 3. On the Choose an option screen, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt

rebuild or fix mbr in windows 10

Step 4. Input the command lines and press Enter each time:

• bootrec /fixmbr
  • bootrec /fixboot
  • bootrec /scanos
  • bootrec /rebuildbcd
rebuild or fix mbr in windows 8

Step 5. Remove the DVD/USB from your PC.

Step 6. Input exit and restart your PC.

Jul 6, 2024
Yes. Precisely.

So, normally I owuldn't expect the issue you're having, unless Windows was installed on the new drive, whilct the original was still in the system. This messes up the MBR (Master boot record). Sometimes rebuilding the MBR can fix that. Often the easiest solution is to disconnec one drive, do a fresh OS install. Boot up/shut down, and then add the second drive in.

This is not your problem, but I'm just wondering if it might help. COuld be a bit of bios craziness going on. As a matter of interest have you updated the bios during this process?

Try this and see if it helps:

1. Repair MBR in Windows 10/8/8.1​

Step 1. Boot from the recovery USB or the original installation DVD.

Step 2. Move to the install screen, and click Repair your computer.

repair your computer

Step 3. On the Choose an option screen, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt

rebuild or fix mbr in windows 10

Step 4. Input the command lines and press Enter each time:

• bootrec /fixmbr
  • bootrec /fixboot
  • bootrec /scanos
  • bootrec /rebuildbcd
rebuild or fix mbr in windows 8

Step 5. Remove the DVD/USB from your PC.

Step 6. Input exit and restart your PC.
Okay so I just tried those step your said.
Bootrec /Fixmbr
Completed successfully

Bootrec /fixboot
Access is denies

Bootrec /scanos
Total identified windows instillations: 0

Bootrec /rebuildbcd
Total identified windows instillations: 0

I will now try the other process you said about taking out the 2tb and doing a fresh install. Unless you’ve got any other ideas from those result?

Jul 6, 2024
Okay so I’ve tried to do a fresh install of windows and now no drives are showing up as available to install on unless IRST is disabled. But surely if I install windows when IRST is disabled when I go and re install my 2tb I’ll just have the same problem of it showing up as 2.1gb?

Jul 6, 2024
So I’ve done a fresh install with one drive disconnected and it’s the same story. Both drives show when IRST is enabled and I get the inaccessible boot device error. When ISRT is disabled I boot straight in but the 2tb drive is showing as 2GB and can’t be initialised

TRENDING THREADS