Is 1000w OK for my PC, 1000w vs 850w

Rogan69

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
HI,im thinking of getting a 1000W power supply for my EVGA GTX SSC 1060 6GB.Is it a bit overkill?I think of getting all my new parts for the pc and later add another SLI in Crossfire.The time il wait for the secod Gpu will the Psu damage my components? IM thinking of overcloking the GPU's even if they are in crossfire and the CPU.MY question is this:WILL THE 1000W PSU BE TOO MUCH FOR MY PC BEFORE I GET THE SECOND GPU.
Parst:
GPU- EVGA GTX SSC 1060 6GB
HDD-2TB Seagate Barracuda
CPU-I7 9700K 4.6Hz
MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING SLI
RAM-DDR4 16GB 3200MHZ- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO (2*8GB)
CASE- COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX LITE RGB WITH TOP VENTILATION
CPU COOLER - COOLER MASTER MASTERLIQUID ML240R
PSU - NEED ADVISE CORSAIR (RM1000X OR RM850X) FULLY MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD.

2, CAN I CROSS FIRE GPU OF DIFFERENT VERSION LIKE 1060 AND 1080 OR 2080 IN MY MOTHERBOARD?

Solution

You cannot do that because the card that you currently have(the 1060 6 GB SSC) does not support SLI. So your motherboard does support two cards, but your graphics card does not support being paired with another similar card. For SLI to work, the cards need to have a separate connector where you install the 'SLI Bridge', which lets the two graphics cards communicate with each other. Your GTX 1060 6 GB SSC does NOT have this connector for the Bridge, hence it...
Firstly, extremely overkill PSU.

Secondly, for Nvidia GPU's it's SLI not crossfire.

Thirdly, the GTX 1060 doesn't support SLI - you CANNOT run two 1060's and expect their performance to add up in games - in most(in fact, almost all) games it won't.

To answer your second question, no you can't. SLI happens only between two of the same cards.

Rogan69

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Can this GPU- EVGA GTX SSC 1060 6GB support on MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING SLI ?

Yup, perfectly compatible with each other.

To add to the other comments my opinion is avoid Sli/crossfire, it is a last resort only if a single card cannot be bought to meet the performance needs. Sli support has been in decline for years and now that it’s not supported by DX12 I really think it’s dead. Also NVidia’s latest cards have moved to NVLink.

Rogan69

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Thanks Shektron, as my understanding from your reply, two different cards cant attached to my scenario (Motherboard + GPU) support .

do i even cant add another GPU- EVGA GTX SSC 1060 6GB support on MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING SLI ? (Totally two GPU of same kind)

You cannot do that because the card that you currently have(the 1060 6 GB SSC) does not support SLI. So your motherboard does support two cards, but your graphics card does not support being paired with another similar card. For SLI to work, the cards need to have a separate connector where you install the 'SLI Bridge', which lets the two graphics cards communicate with each other. Your GTX 1060 6 GB SSC does NOT have this connector for the Bridge, hence it cannot communicate with the second GTX 1060 6 GB SSC, hence making SLI impossible. Also, as mentioned by sizzling, SLI is basically a waste of money - very few games support it, the performance increase is not much in most games, and it increases your electricity bill because the system consumes more power.

In short, you cannot do SLI, and you should not do SLI.

Solution

For a GTX 1060 6 GB, a 450 W good quality power supply is more than enough, 550 W if you plan on upgrading the GPU to something more powerful in the future. I would recommend the Corsair CX450 and CX550, both are good units and aren't very expensive.

TRENDING THREADS