Is 1440p on a 24inch Display pointless?

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
27 inch is just too big for me personally. there are a few monitors which are 24 inch and have a native resolution of 1440p.

i have a few questions

1. Is it Pointless?

2. If not will 1440p look a little bit sharper on a 24 inch than a 27 inch?

3. Will there be a scaling issue on the 24 inch?

4. which of these 2 display is better

AOC AGON MNAO-AG241QG 23.8" 1ms 165Hz 2560x1440 G-Sync Gaming

Acer Predator XB241YU 23.8 inch TN-LED 144Hz G-Sync NVIDIA 3D Gaming

Solution
The 144Hz IPS is the best you can get but you need a bit of luck since these monitors come extremely often with defects e.g. backlight bleeding, etc.
You might need to RMA the monitor more times until you get a fully problem free.
I was among those lucky people to get a perfect sample of XB270HU out of the first box.

compute.life

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
1&2. I do believe that yes it would be sharper on a smaller scale.
3. I couldn't see scaling being a problem when talking about gaming but if your talking media in general you will be dealing with black bars.
4. the AOC has the upper hand its 165 hz refresh rate and thats the only difference between the 2 other but it doesn't really matter that much if your computer can't run beyond 144 frames per second.

PS if you think 27 inches is to big you should get a curved monitor I know some people think they are just a fad but I love mine its curve makes it less of a hynderance to look around the screen.

Any ways hope this helped.

Reactions: kenzy9

gaborbarla

Distinguished
1. it is not pointless, 24" will make your new finer resolution quite visible. You will have to have very good eyes to see something like a command prompt in native size though. I use a 27" 1440p and I can barely read it.
2. Depends on the screens also. I owned 2 1440p 27" monitors and my Acer looks 2x sharper than my old screen did. While pixel per inch does matter, it also depends on coating/cables used/ technology used in the screen.
3. Mostly no, but you will probably find that some things will be very small. Like the text I mentioned in a CMD prompt. You can change the windows interface to 125% which is what most people do. We are in the era where you actually have to do it. A 4K screen becomes unusable if you dont scale it a bit. You can also set a CMD prompt to use larger fonts. On my 27"-er I do not have to employ windows scaling and only had to change my command prompt font to bigger. This way I get the most out of the pixels and real estate the screen provides.
4. The AOC is 165Hz which is slighly better than 144Hz. I would go with that because of that. But I would get a 27" as I do think that bigger is better for gaming and actually want to go bigger than 27" soon once a good curved 36" becomes available at 144Hz and a decent price (and not 1080 vertical res). I have convinced many friends that said 24 is already very big and they never regretted getting the 27" 1440p 144hz monitors. :p

From sharpness point of view:
1440p on 24" is between pointless and not pointless.
What nobody mentioned yet is that pixel density has something to do with viewing distance, before you can tell the difference.
Even 5-6" phones with 1440p are not pointless, especially if you use them for VR.
Looking at typical viewing distance for PC monitors between 3-5 feet, yes, going 1440p on 24" is a kind of pointless.

Gaming on 1440p compared to 1080p:
You need stronger PC (especially on the graphic card department) to deliver the same fps under same settings.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

Depends though on how far your monitor is from you. According to my optometrist it is best to put the monitor well beyond an arms length away from you to reduce developing astigmatism from long term use. I wouldn't be able to read comfortably a standard cmd prompt on a 25" 1440. But one can increase the font size I guess without scaling the rest and still look great. For me 27" is perfect for 1440p.

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

i have a 7700k and a 1080ti so i think my rig is right. So is what you are saying with pixel density is there wouldnt really be a difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 24inch assuming that they are 2 different monitors and are running at their native resolutions

1440p 24" has more pixel density than 1080p on 24", however, if you sit far enough from the monitor, those 2 do not have any difference for your eyes.
This is why people tend to say 27" is better for 1440p than 24".
The pixel density between 1440p and 1080p on 24" makes a difference, if you sit close enough.
The best method is to check those monitors live on a store and see for yourself.
If you sit nearer than 3 feet e.g. 1-2 feet ...although I would not sit this near actually...the 1440p on 24" is definitely sharper.

ah...7700k and GTX1080Ti?
I would go with 144Hz 1440p 27" with GSync, if I were you.

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

yea i thought of that. IPS would be good, will cost more however

The 144Hz IPS is the best you can get but you need a bit of luck since these monitors come extremely often with defects e.g. backlight bleeding, etc.
You might need to RMA the monitor more times until you get a fully problem free.
I was among those lucky people to get a perfect sample of XB270HU out of the first box.

Solution

I sit about exactly 1 arm's length away.

1 arm length? hmmm...I would say between 2-3 feet.
This is not exactly good for your eyes in long term, you know.
According to my experience, make it at least 3 feet and keep it below 5 feet.

BTW, you do not have to worry about the scaling from 1080p on 1440p. It will still look great.
Trust me, I am on 1440p 27" since 2015. I do not wanna go back to 1080p.