Is (2+4GB) + (2+8GB) viable, and will it work?

Pentola

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
I recently bought some Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB in black, I wanted to get the same ram in white. However, the only white version of the exact same speeds are only sold as 2x8GB sticks. Would buying this cause any problems with my pc?

Solution
Mixing different sticks (or sets) of ram is not recommended. There's way more to compare then just speeds - latency and voltage to name the most important specs. Size however does not matter - when mixing 4 gb stick with 4 gb stick or mixing 4 gb stick with 8 gb stick (of otherwise same ram) you have exactly same chances of success (or failure).
Mixing different sticks (or sets) of ram is not recommended. There's way more to compare then just speeds - latency and voltage to name the most important specs. Size however does not matter - when mixing 4 gb stick with 4 gb stick or mixing 4 gb stick with 8 gb stick (of otherwise same ram) you have exactly same chances of success (or failure).

Solution
if both r of the same speed and timings, the 2 4gb should be in the same color ram slots and so should be the 8gb sticks. then u will have 12gb of rams in dual channel mode. if the rams r @ different speeds n timings, if u have a z series mobo, u can try custom timings to match them. if they match n they r stable, u r good to go. otherwise, u have to stick with the mobo default timings and deal with the reduced perf. simply put, avoid the hassle.