Is 2 NVME M. 2 SSDs enough for my PC?

Oct 10, 2018
Hi. Please Help.

I'm new to building pc and stuff and I'm planning my first gaming rig that got the speed and storage. The plans and materials are all on the list but there's a thing about SSDs thats confusing me. You see, I'm very new to this and all the articles about SSDs doesn't make sense to me. I might sound unknowledgeable about this and truthfully, I am that's why I NEED HELP!

My Motherboard is Asus - STRIX X299-E GAMING ATX LGA2066 Motherboard

It has (2) M.2 slots and what I'm planning is to buy (2) Samsung - 970 Evo 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State DriveSamsung - 970 Evo 1.0TB M.2-2280 SSD to fill those to ports.

Are those enough to handle the STORAGE AND Speed? THANKS FOR THE REPLY

Solution
It you're just gaming go the SATAIII M.2 because you won't need sustained read/write speeds a NVME can offer. If you are into content creation and video editing go for the NVME. All games do is periodically read so you won't notice a difference between the SATAIII and NVME.
Is money a concern?

Why are you going with X299 platform for a mainly gaming rig? Z370/390 makes much more sense in the vast majority of cases.

The the 970 is very fast, but having just come from a sata3 ssd to nvme it’s not that impressive for gaming and general use. The jump in feel from hdd to ssd was amazing, from ssd to nvme is “meh”.

Absolutely it will. Just that if you are concerned about money at all, it is double the cost of a good sata3 ssd for the same amount of storage with little perceived gain.

I bought a 500gb nvme and in hindsight wished I had gone with a 1tb sata3 for the same price.

Edit: what cpu would you pair with x299? What features exist in x299 that you dont get in the less expensive Z3xx setup?

As J_E_D_70 says, the jump from SATA to NVME isn't that great, unless you plan on shifting huge amounts of data ( like a server ) a high capacity 2.5" SATA drive is cheaper, nearly as fast and most cases will allow you to tuck it away almost as neatly as a M2 drive.

Why X299? Unless you intend to use a CPU with more than 8 cores for fast CPU rendering a Z370 with an i7 8700K CPU is still pretty much top of the line for gaming and no slouch for other uses.

Oct 10, 2018
NOW I GET IT! So that's why in all the top builds i watched and read they have both the NVMe and SATA 3 SSDs because they can use it for gaming and video editing and stuff. I'm into gaming and at the same time I do some photoshop and video editing. Thank. YOU. VERY Much SERGEANT. Really helped a lot. That's the answer I was looking for. It's just that I lack the info and don't know to phrase it. SO yeah Thanks

No problem. I always tell gamers to prioritize capacity over throughput, when it comes to SSD's. SATAIII M.2 drives give you almost twice as much space for the money and gamers need that space to house all of their games. I'd much rather have a larger SSD that is unnoticeably slower in performance and not have to constantly deal with freeing up drive space all the time.

Oct 10, 2018
For those up there. My rig is gonna be most likely for gaming and video editing. In short, its a workstation and a gaming hub that's why I needed the X299 MOBO because it supports the i9 7980XE Which has 18 cores to support my needs for my day to day activities.