Is 3 GB of VRAM enough?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shwegdow

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I was thinking of getting the RX 480 4 GB when it comes out when I have enough money on October. I have waited almost 2 months and still no 4GB variant yet so I'm look towards the GTX 1060 3GB which is priced the same as the RX 480 4GB. However, I have my doubts for the amount of VRAM the 1060 has as I'm a complete noob at PC hardware. Is 1 GB of VRAM a big difference and will 3 GB of VRAM be sufficient for most games?

Solution
Er I have a 780 which has 3gb VRAM and I game at 1080p. I have already found 3 games that I can hit 3 gb VRAM usage in and it causes instant stuttering. Ok it's very easy to fix by dropping a setting or 2 but even with an older card 3gb can limit what settings you can use. Personally if buying now I would not go less than 4gb but seeing how only 3-4 years ago 2gb was plenty I don't think 4gb gives you much headroom if games continue to ramp up VRAM requirements.