Question Is 350W PSU good enough with graphics card?

Karmasutra

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
I am using a Corsair VS350 PSU running an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G on an Asus TUF B450M-PRO Gaming motherboard and got a LG DVD Drive and a Seagate 1TB HD spinning, I am thinking of getting a Zotac 2070 Super Mini, I want to know whether my Corsair VS350can handle it? Can you guys help me out with this

Karmasutra

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
I am in India and I would mostly stick with same PSU for now as it's been just weeks since I bought it so if the PSU can't run enough power to the 2070 GPU, I am dropping the idea of getting a 2070 but are there any good graphics card I could run using this PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Reactions: Karmasutra

Karmasutra

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
why don't you get a new psu and gpu together? Budget?
Coz I just built this pc just a few weeks ago and I wasn't thinking of buying a graphics card at least for a year but one of my relative recently promised to get me a graphics card of my liking so I thought i could upgrade to a good graphics card

Nvidia specs show GTX1650 as a 300w card.

Since it has been working for you, you could try it.
But be advised that the corsair orange VS units are considered tier 6 quality on this list:

I am in India and I would mostly stick with same PSU for now as it's been just weeks since I bought it so if the PSU can't run enough power to the 2070 GPU, I am dropping the idea of getting a 2070 but are there any good graphics card I could run using this PSU?

If it's just been weeks since you bought this (old) PSU (they don't make the VS350 anymore. Haven't in a year), then why can't you send it back to where you got it and get a better PSU?

need4speeds

Distinguished
What about the bit cheaper AMD RX 5700XT? A RX5700 is even cheaper so you could get a new power supply. That system does have a limit because it's still a Quad core cpu, so going above a certain card will no longer give you much more fps in gaming.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-2.html
https://www.pcmag.com/compare/370011/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super-vs-amd-radeon-rx-5700-which

The power supply has a single 6 pin PCIE connector. It's 25amps so times 12volts that's 300watts. So max is 250 watts. The APU you have is low wattage at 65watts. Then 20watts for the system. That leaves 165watts. It should work but the powersupply fan will rev to max trying to keep it cool. There is a chance that after a while the extra heat will cook the power supply or it will trip out after a long gaming session on overtemp protection.

That 165watts is split up between the 75watt pcie slot card draw, and any pcie connectors to it. This varies because some cards draw more power from the slot vs. pcie connectors and some are the other way around.

Most cards need 6 and 8 pin PCIE connectors. Some GTX1060's and 1660ti's or the 1660 should work with a 6 to 8 pin adapter. A few of them might be a 6 pin version. Some brands come with a adaptor. At 125watts these cards will be ok with that power supply.

My advice is a RX5700, New Power Supply, Budget boot SSD . A M2 slot NVMe ssd is the fastest, there are some 256gig ones out that are fairly cheap. A regular SATA ssd is still way faster than that 1TB HDD. Use the 1TB drive for your steam folder, ect.

Power supply link..

But be advised that the corsair orange VS units are considered tier 6 quality on this list:

Mind you, that is an old list and they're talking about the old VS. That said, there is no "new" VS350. They only made the 450, 550 and 650. ANY VS350 is an "old" VS.

If the store he bought his parts from is going to screw him over, he need to just suck it up and buy a decent PSU.

Reactions: PC Tailor