Is 4.2ghz safe at 1.2volts with auto voltage from bios

stanley780

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Ok so i attempted my first overclock after watching a few guides. This is what i did in the bios. I disables turbo set the multiplier ratio to 42 and saved and exited. I didn't change any of the pll or vtt, or any power saving features. My temps are only a few degrees higher since i was getting the same voltage at 3.8ghz when turbo was on, i get max 65 degrees in far cry 3 after a few hours with ambient temp of 22. I'm using an evo 212 cooler. My temps are fine but will the other setting cause issues?

Solution

stanley780

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Oh my (I got overcome with excitement) and left out my processor. It's an i5-3570k with a gigabyte ga-z77-xd3h motherboard. But what about the power saving features, or are those irrelevant at mild overclocks? I just got this in prime 95.
"FATAL ERROR: Final result was F78BE7AF, expected: E21C344E.
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."

The best way to overclock Intel processors is to leave the CPU multiplier as is and keep all thermal / power / turbo features enabled. Set the maximum turbo multiplier to 42 and disable turbo power limits. This will allow your processor to jump up to your desired overclock when it needs to, while allowing it to throttle back to its idle state when it doesn't. Disabling the turbo power limits will allow it to exceed the TDP without throttling back right away.

stanley780

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

So it will run in 3 speed increments? Like 1.6ghz at idle, 3.4ghz in the middle, and 4.2ghz when the cpu is fully needed? Most guides suggest just disabling the turbo and using the base clock, or is it just personal preference?

It depends on the particular motherboard's firmware and how it configures the turbo states. My experience is with Asus motherboards which tend to lean more towards the turbo method because changing the CPU multiplier above its programmed default disables some things in a rather odd fashion. My 3960x is overclocked to 4.5Ghz through the turbo method, it mostly jumps between 1200Mhz and 4500Mhz, I don't think that I've ever seen it steady at 3300Mhz.

Solution