Question Is 400W power supply enough

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Can 400W power supply be efficient for this configuration:
CPU: Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad
GPU:9800 GT 1GB
RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR3
If you need any more information, just ask! Thanks!

Last edited:
I will just use the adapter. I am just wondering if the 400W is enough for BOTH gpu and cpu.
SATA or MOLEX to PCIE adapters are not reccomended. SATA and Molex are not designed to provide the required amperage for a PCIe connector. This can result in PSU failure and/or melted wire/adapter.

But does it really matter? Is there any drawback of using older power supply?
Could fail and kill your hardware. It may be a decent unit tho.
If it doesn't have the required connectors you cannot use it.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
SATA or MOLEX to PCIE adapters are not reccomended. SATA and Molex are not designed to provide the required amperage for a PCIe connector. This can result in PSU failure and/or melted wire/adapter.

Could fail and kill your hardware. It may be a decent unit tho.
If it doesn't have the required connectors you cannot use it.
The thing is that I am using it right now, with an adapter. It works perfectly fine. What am I trying to do is upgrade my cpu to core 2 quad. That is why I am asking if the 400W psu enough.

The thing is that I am using it right now, with an adapter. It works perfectly fine. What am I trying to do is upgrade my cpu to core 2 quad. That is why I am asking if the 400W psu enough.

Isn't that how things typically work?

They work "perfectly fine" until they don't.

A car works "perfectly fine" until you run it into a building.

You want to wait to start a fire or destroy your hardware before you can stop saying it works "perfectly fine"?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
For what it's worth, this PC worked "perfectly fine" for a number of weeks before it was no longer "perfectly fine".

fire.png

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Isn't that how things typically work?

They work "perfectly fine" until they don't.

A car works "perfectly fine" until you run it into a building.

You want to wait to start a fire or destroy your hardware before you can stop saying it works "perfectly fine"?
You really do like to bring negativity. Is it that hard to say: "No you can not" or "Yes you can".

Wolfshadw

Titan
I will just use the adapter. I am just wondering if the 400W is enough for BOTH gpu and cpu.

The recommended power supply is for the entire system, so yes. 400 watts is for the CPU and GPU (and everything else). Aside from that, I'll just reiterate what I said earlier. If your power supply does not have the necessary PCI-E power connector, then it should not be used with that card. I do NOT recommend using adapters.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: magzzy124

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's generally called preventative maintenance. A psu has no outside ways of verifying anything other than its power outputs. So it's a guessing game, pure and simple. There's multiple clues that can/will be important factors though. Very old units is a dead giveaway for one. Capacitors degrade over time/use/heat. Think of it as exactly like a light bulb, they work great for 1 or 2 or 5 years and out of the blue 'pop', no more light bulb, with absolutely no warning. But you can think, light bulb - 5 years old - chances it'll blow = high. So if the light bulb is seriously important, before it does blow, you replace it.
Most older psus had a 1, 2 or 3 year warranty and you are way past that. If the engine in your car had a 100k power train warranty and the motor is now at 300k, what are the chances of something happening. It may still run great, question is for how long. Could be you are running late for a new job, sitting in deadlocked traffic.. And 'poof' engine dies.

It's a guessing game. We can only advise that an unknown psu of that age, needing that recommended power almost guaranteed will not be putting out the same as a new unit rated the same, it's old and worn. The chances of its continued use are iffy at best. We are saying it's a really old light bulb, it'll blow much sooner than later, and when it does it very likely will cause more damage or harm than you'd wish.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To be fair, everything fails eventually. A better quality psu, with better quality voltage ripple outputs and a full vendor/factory warranty just lowers chances exponentially of unwanted failures at the worst time and snowballing other failures.