[SOLVED] Is 430W enough to power my whole build?

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hi, I am a noob.
That said, my power supply died a few weeks ago and with my current build (and what was available in-store), Thermaltake tr2 430w was fine and that's what I ended up with...
Now here I am considering a quadro 6000 which uses 200w on its own.

Is Thermaltake tr2 430w too low?

Specs are:

1x 60mm (Guessing) fan for
1x intel pentium G3240
1x fan 120mm (I guess)
1x h97m-e/csm motherboard
2x ddr3 4GB Memory
1x dvd rw drive
1x hardrive
1x external HD
1x Gigabit GeForce GT 730

and I use Unity to create games too if that makes any difference. It seems to draw lots of power according to the task manager.

Thank you for your time!
Any more information needed id be happy to offer it.

Ps. I have this other question if anyone has the answer :)

Last edited:
Solution
That's the same as this power supply, and it was pure trash when it was new. Even if you DON'T get a different graphics card, you would be VERY wise to figure out a way to replace it with something better. It's a VERY old model, a very old platform and even new, which yours is assuredly not, it couldn't supply it's rated 430w and could only do more like 350w sustained, which is pretty bad.

Hi, I am a noob.
That said, my power supply died a few weeks ago and with my current build (and what was available in-store), 430w was fine and that's what I ended up with...
Now here I am considering a quadro 6000 which uses 200w on its own.

Is 430w too low?

I keep reading your post over and over again and don't see where you say what 430W you have. Am I missing that?

That's the same as this power supply, and it was pure trash when it was new. Even if you DON'T get a different graphics card, you would be VERY wise to figure out a way to replace it with something better. It's a VERY old model, a very old platform and even new, which yours is assuredly not, it couldn't supply it's rated 430w and could only do more like 350w sustained, which is pretty bad.

Solution
It's a poor quality supply anyway so not its not enough.
Why are you looking at close to a decade old quadro Fermi based card anyway?

You'd be better off with a modern gtx 1650, it'll outperform it in every single scenario.

If you've been managing with a gt730 that card is around 15x more powerful.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
So I'm just going to forget the whole Idea of getting that graphics card then since it doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.

Just to wrap all this up into one thread:

So I'm just going to forget the whole Idea of getting that graphics card then since it doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.

Just to wrap all this up into one thread:

Well.. the problem is, that's a terrible old power supply no matter what.

Since you just got it, return in and ask what's not a fire hazard AHEAD OF TIME, before you make another mistake.

Reactions: Archaic59
They will. And that will help to go towards something better. How much did you pay for that PSU?

$70! And I can't even believe they have it in stock!

Must have been sitting in a warehouse for 10 years!!!!

EDIT: Good lord! It looks like the only thing Future Shop (now Best Buy Canada) has in stock is garbage! Return it for a refund and buy something from somewhere else!!!!

Yep, that's what I'm saying. And they have those on Amazon as well. Which is why I've been saying that somebody someplace has had a butt load of old PSU models that are new old stock sitting in a warehouse somewhere just waiting for a day like this when they could offload them to the public during a shortage or to a retailer like Amazon that can't get anything else in quantity right now and can charge ridiculous prices for ridiculous units. Shameful.

I thought Tiger direct was bad like 11 years ago for selling some of the really crappy Ultra and old TR2 600w units, but selling these same era 430w TR2 units is magnitudes worse than that was, considering it's 11 years later. If it sells I guess..................

Not necessarily. I'm not a fan of them either, however, ALL of the major power supply players have both good and bad units. Thermaltake has some very good units in their Toughpower Grand series, as just one example. When it comes to power supplies, and with the understanding that their ARE brands out there that should be completely avoided just by name alone, it is ALWAYS the MODEL that matters. And the SPECIFIC revision of model as well, because we've often seen the same model name reused with much better OR worse designs, pretty often. The older green letter Corsair CX units for example were not all that good, in fact, there were a lot of problems with them.

The newer Corsair CX models with only black lettering on a gray label, are much better. Not great, but pretty good for a budget offering. Most of these brands don't actually "make" their power supplies. They are made FOR them by companies like Seasonic, Super Flower, FSP group, CWT, Great wall, Chicony, Andyson, etc., only a few of whom most users will have ever even heard of.