Question Is 480GB SSD enough for gaming? (Requirements inside)

Jan 21, 2020
I've just got started assembling my first pc, primarily for gaming, and I have to choose between 240gb SSD + 1tb HDD or 480gb SSD. I have an external 2tb HDD as well. I'm also going to shift twice over long distances (college to home and home to my job location) and I was wondering if I should avoid an HDD considering how it can potentially get damaged while traveling. Thanks!

The chances of an HDD getting damaged in transport is minimal at best. It had to be shipped to you in the first place (in a plastic clam shell, not exactly padded).
Plus, think of all the prebuilt systems that get shipped every single day, its extremely rare to show up with a damaged HDD.

That being said, I cant really recommend either. 240GB is on the smaller side for todays standards, but so is 480 if its the only internal drive you have.
If you do go for an SSD only setup you are going to want 1TB at least.

If those are your only two options, 480+the external drive would probably be "better" in the short term.

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
it really depends on the games you play, if you play just one or two games, then 240GB should barely suffice, but more than 4 AAA games at 50GB each (approx) would require the 480GB,. And there are affordable sata ssds now, even in the 1TB range, Amazon : Kingston 960GB SATA SSD for $99
if you cant afford it, go for the 480GB ssd as you still have the external 2TB